Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my 1991 spider eventually returns from its engine woes I plan to change the brake fluid and obviously will be bleeding the brakes. At the same time I thought it might be prudent to replace the bleed nipples. Are they the same on all calipers front and rear? Are there stainless ones available please? What spec brake fluid am I best to flush it with and use in the future please?
I'm just trying to get ahead of some jobs and order the stuff up in advance, thanks, John.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
manual S4: fronts are 9mm spanner (M8x1.25 thread) rears are 7mm spanner (M7x1.0 thread)
auto S4 (this info thanks to Nick, 'anglospider'): fronts 11mm; rears 7mm (odd but true!)

you could go for speedbleeders, as many do, aids one-man bleeding!
DOT 4 fluid is fine.

If your little dust caps are missing: part no. : ATE 03.3590-0700.1

don't use an open-end spanner, you might round them off!
use a quality ring spanner or better still small deep socket to crack them open.

when you bleed try to avoid pushing the pedal the last centimeter to the floor, that pushes the piston into parts it hasn't been into since it was new (obviously because good brakes don't go to the floor!) and might score the seals
don't go mad and over tighten them when you have finished;)

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that information. I will give the old ones a soak in penetrating oil then remove them with a socket. As the system is going to be bled out and flushed it's no problem removing them. I have a gunson easy bleed which I have used with success for both brakes and clutches in the past so I wil use that.

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
On the same subject can anyone confirm the nipple sizes/specs front & rear on an ATE caliper'ed 72 105 Gtv?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
EB spares just lists a small bleed screw (7mm spanner size) and a large bleed screw (9mm spanner)

I think 1750 & 2000 ATE calipers are the same, be it Bertone or spider.

However EB do mention re. the "small" bleeders: 'fits small front calipers and all rears'
Sounds perhaps year-dependant, whether your car got small or big front calipers??
Might be worth giving them a ring to confirm, and at 4 quid apiece (+ the dreaded VAT), new original ATE with the rubber cap, you can't really go wrong!
Dom

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Cheers Dom, will get onto EB next week.
I've developed an annoying habit of 99% finishing restoration/refurb jobs and then putting these incomplete bits away in boxes, so have decided to finish all of these little parts off before starting anything else...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts