Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks

As I get older I need to have battery charging connectors in the boot - back problems too.
Web searching I have found isolators etc. but not 'terminals'.
Has anyone a solution please?

Ken

·
Registered
76 Posts
The BMW of E30 vintage had its battery in the boot but under the hood there was a remote positive terminal - presumably for jump starting - I imagine it could be adapted if you're handy and mounted in the boot. For negative you could find or install a bolt through the spare tyre mount.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have a battery charger with a two pin connector. I have installed a cable attached to the battery terminals to plug the charger to in the boot. I also have an isolater switch to disconnect the battery when the car is not being used to reduce discharge.
Amazon has a number of battery chargers with plug and socket arrangements.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi Krisp,
I have an isolator switch on the battery but also looking for something where I can charge the battery via the boot. Tad pain having to fight over the roll bars, disconnect the battery and charge it. Would be easier via the boot if I had cables running from the battery to the boot. Can you explain what you have please.
Cheers

·
Registered
242 Posts
Panstee,
The two photos should make things clearer.

OK, I have a GTV rather than a Spider, but the principle is the same, just the cable required is longer.
The isolation switch is at the right of the picture. I have chosen to isolate the earth. Also in the picture you can see the red wire going to the positive battery connector and the black wire is cable tied to the earth lead going to the battery negative.

The cable is shown coming out of the bootlid shut with the red and black cable. The connector has fool proofing features to prevent incorrect connection. In this case I have an Accumate charger however as I said earlier Amazon has a number of chargers with connectors in the cable.
It will require more trim removal on a Spider to run the cable from the battery into the boot, but it is a one off event.
The positioning of the charger in the boot or outside depends on personal circumstances.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Plus one on the ctek (although mines branded yuasa) and when I'm not charging I have a 12v socket plugged in for additional accessories (links just for illustration purposes).

·
Registered
76 Posts
If we are just talking about trickle charging then maybe just use a 12V plug on your (current limited so as to not burn the car down) charger into the cigarette lighter next to the gear lever. On the Ph1 at least, this is unswitched i.e. permanently connected to battery.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts