Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Interested to know if folk use their aircon with the roof down in this hot weather

At speed on the motorway, the temp rises a little to just over 90 when I switch on the air con in my TS Spider

At least my fingers stay cool :cool:

Cheers

Rich ;)

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
The air conditioning is supposed to be disabled when the soft top is open. A microswitch under the left (passenger's side) framework signals the a/c control unit when the frame is folded into its place. That microswitch is the same type as the bonnet-latched microswitch and, surprise surprise, it fails in the same way.

I've noticed good a/c performance in my Spiders when the hood is up (in summer), though a phase-1 Spider I had was even better.

-Alex

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My understanding for ph2 cars with climate control, was that the aircon worked with the roof down except that the "climate control" was disabled, in other words setting the switch to auto, sets the fan at half the speed of "1" and no attempt is made to maintain the set temperature (which is also the case with aircon off)

Rich ;)

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I find that the worse thing in slow moving traffic and scorching sunshine is that you start to stick to the seat. I put aircon on full into the footwell and it keeps the 'cabin' area nice and cool. Just had a regas, the probe reading from the vents was 13 degrees so nice and cool.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Another piece of similar advice (from the summertime - now a distant memory here) is to carry a large white sheet or towel to put over the black leather seats when parking briefly in the sun (e.g. outside a shop). Otherwise, in a matter of minutes, the seats are too hot to sit on! ;)

-Alex

·
Registered
60 Posts
I use the air-con with my roof down just to get the air coming out of the vents cool, because when my spider has been sat in the sun all day it blows really hot air out the vents till I get moving along a bit.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I use the air con with the roof down. Would boil to death on very hot days and have the roof up otherwise. Black leather is the worst interior substance to have used. Very tempted to get them recovered with a blue/grey fuzzy draylon type thing that the 156s had. That was lovely. Leather is horrible in winter. Horrible in summer. Unless you can recirculate the aircon so you can chill yer bum on the seat or heat it in winter then they're merely ornamental.

I'm fairly certain it automagically switches to recirculate. It is as cold as normal but the breeze from outside the car usually wafts some of it away.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts