Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

My Spider is making a spluttering noise when cold which completely disappears when the engine warms up.

Sometimes it runs a bit lumpy when I hit the ignition button and I switch it off and on again and it's fine except for the spluttering which dies away almost completely when it hits 80 degrees engine temperature and then its fine once its up the 90 degrees.

I tried running some RedX through it to clean the injectors but that didn't work.

So next I though that maybe it's got a weak spark plug that's not igniting the fuel when it's cold but is ok once warm so I just changed all the plugs but made no difference.

Error codes are:

P0571 - Brake Switch A Circuit
P0564 - Cruise Control Multi Function Input A Circuit
P1175 - Undefined in my cheapo reader, anyone know what this is?

Anyone had anything similar or have any ideas what I should try next?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Spider

Hi I have a 98 Spider I love it unfortunately the hood mechanism is faulty and the motor is discontinued, does anyone have a part
Number 60630546 to get my Spider working again?

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
That's a great reply to the mans question....lol. You might want to start another thread for that one! Afraid I don't know the answer to the OPs question either though!!!

·
Registered
231 Posts
That's a great reply to the mans question....lol. You might want to start another thread for that one! Afraid I don't know the answer to the OPs question either though!!!

Just what I was thinking, you took the words right out of my mouth. Sorry I can’t help either...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Hi I have a 98 Spider I love it unfortunately the hood mechanism is faulty and the motor is discontinued, does anyone have a part
Number 60630546 to get my Spider working again?
Wrong forum for a '98 Spider - you need the GTV & 916 Spider section.

And very poor form to be hijacking someone's thread, at least so early on!
Simply start your own, and give it a good and clear title to elicit the maximum response.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Hi All,

My Spider is making a spluttering noise when cold which completely disappears when the engine warms up.

Sometimes it runs a bit lumpy when I hit the ignition button and I switch it off and on again and it's fine except for the spluttering which dies away almost completely when it hits 80 degrees engine temperature and then its fine once its up the 90 degrees.

I tried running some RedX through it to clean the injectors but that didn't work.

So next I though that maybe it's got a weak spark plug that's not igniting the fuel when it's cold but is ok once warm so I just changed all the plugs but made no difference.

Error codes are:

P0571 - Brake Switch A Circuit
P0564 - Cruise Control Multi Function Input A Circuit
P1175 - Undefined in my cheapo reader, anyone know what this is?

Anyone had anything similar or have any ideas what I should try next?

Apparently it should read : - P1175: Mixture 2 strength (multiplicative) intermittent above top limit.

Your car sounds like it’s running too rich from cold start. Try the exhaust O2 Sensor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Clay19 that sounds like a plan.

Is the exhaust O2 sensor also called a lambda sensor?

I've found what I think you're referring to (BOSCH Lambda Sensor 0258006190) for around the £60 mark.

From a bit of googling it looks like it's fitted under the engine but I can't really tell how much other stuff needs to be removed in order to get to the sensor. Have you done one?

·
Registered
4 Posts
From a lot of threads in this and other alfa forums for p1172-1175 codes the first you have to do is to check for leaks in the intake manifold which can cause (I don' t know how) and the other codes plus hill holder and others. You 're having problems with smoothness of idle until engine comes hot if the leak is small or bigger idle problems if the leak is bigger. Check very carefully all the vacuum hoses that comes to the manifold, then check the condition of the orange membrane on the top of manifold (that comes from the oil fumes from head cover) but it would increase the idle spead (that you do not have), and finaly a small tube about 15 cm that continues at the bottom of the orange membrane housing, which is under the manifold and I think is responsible for your problem. You have to get off the manifold that is an easy 10 minutes diy job. If all of them are ok then continue with the exhaust and the lamdas. After reading a lot I solve my problem with a tube that costs 1.5 e

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hi Mali,

Thanks for the suggestions, I always prefer to try the cheap fixes first :)

I've had a good poke around all the hoses and they look ok to me. No sign of any holes and all nice and tight.

Where is the orange membrane you mention?

My engine looks like this:

I think of the black bit with 4 bumps at the bottom of the picture the manifold is that correct?

Do I have to dismantle it to get to the membrane?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Cant see the pic but its the black round black plastic uhm thing, the orange membrame is inside it.
You have to open it to see the orange membrame.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As ItsMeMarty said it 's the black round plastic on the left top of the manifold and you can see the tube goes from the valve cover. Its inside it. Carefully (it is more than 60 pounds} get off the cover and you 'll see it, beware her spring. At the same point but under the manifold is a tube that is responsible for 90% of the problems like yours. But you have to get off the manifold. It is very easy. Four clamps at the head (let the rubber on head), one clamp to the orange membrane housing, one to the throttle butterfly (the rubber tube coming from MAF), and at the right two tubes and the cable cord.Four bolts: one 10mm for oil checker and pull it out from the oil sump, one 10mm to the water tube at the left, one 10mm under the manifold in the center you can see it if you bend a little and finally one in top center 13 mm. All mentioned can be seen to your photo except the bolt under the manifold.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks ItsMeMarty and Mali that doesn't sound too bad a job. How do those clamps from the manifold to the head work? Do I need a special tool to loosen them and are they reusable or do I need to get a new set or some jubilee clips first?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I released them with a flat end screwdriver and fastem them easy with pincers. It is difficult to fasten the small one looking at the right and impossible FOR ME those of the tube under the manifold where I put new ones type with the screw

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for that Mali, I've ordered a set of jubilee clips plus a few larger ones just in case I struggle to reattach them. Don't want to be in the situation of not being able to put it back together again :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I eventually got round to taking the manifold off and the orange membrane looks fine. When it was off I did find a small crack in the hose coming from the MAF (Part No. 51781247) so I replaced it and it's not made any difference :-(

Anyone got any other ideas?

Here's a quick recap...

Engine starts but has a misfire (very spluttery sound) when cold which almost completely goes away once it's warmed up. There's also a smell of petrol which I guess is to be expected from the unburned fuel. It also sometimes revs a bit too high to start with but then quickly drops back.

So far I've tried:

Running some RedX through it to clean the injectors
Changing the air filter
Changing all 4 spark plugs
Cleaning the MAF
Fully charging the battery
Checked the Manifold and air inlet hoses for any cracks/leaks etc.
Running the engine with the MAF unplugged (made no difference at all except my petrol gauge went to zero!?)

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I would check earth kabels, undo them, cleane connection points and refit. Could be a bad coil aswell or bad earth to coil. A lot of 3.2 with a blown coil due to bad earth

·
Registered
121 Posts
I had a similar problem with mine (no warning lights, just ran rough when cold) and it turned out to be 4 things:
1) The membrane on top of the manifold was manky and gunged up,
2) wrong battery - was an 80ah instead of 90ah, I wonder why italian cars have a reputation for being fussy?!
3) the earth strap under the battery tray going from the engine mount to the inner wing had broken off,
4) the inlet flexihose going from the MAF to the throttle body, part no. 51767818 and £40 from Alfaworkshop, had split in between one of the ribs - this was not visible as it sat and only spotted when flexing it.
Each thing made a small difference once sorted, but it wasn't until they were all done that the car started behaving properly.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hi, my 2.2 Brera was similar - very noticeable misfire when cold that all but disappeared when it warmed up and occasional rough or failed start on the first start of the day but always perfect on subsequent starts.

Put it in for a service and asked for new spark plugs too which completely fixed both issues, glad it was something so straightforward

1 - 20 of 35 Posts