Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a gtv but really would like a spider.The problem is i could really do with somewhere to put the kids.I was wondering if you removed the soft top from a spider is there room to fit the seats from a gtv ? .I was then thinking about fitting an autodelta hard top .Does anyone know if this is possible or even been done?
cheers Sean

·
Registered
471 Posts
The cubby hole storage behind the front seats means that it is a raised shelf behind the Spider seats,i.e. much higher than the rear seat level of a GTV. You can't alter this as the front of the storage cubby is a structural steel cross member essential to maintaining any semblence of stiffness in the Spider.

Even if there was the space, I could n't imagine the hoops that you would have to jump through to get an MOT or insurance cover as a 4 seater.

My children come out with me in my spider, but one at a time in a child car seat strapped to the front passenger seat. But only if they have been good..... :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
spider conversion

There must be a sollution, this car would make a fantastic 2+2 ,there are no 2+2 soft tops available ,maybe this storage area could be modified and strength/ replaced with a clever roll bar or T bar:confused:.love the gaffa tape idea but don,t think i can sell it to the wife !

·
Banned
437 Posts
There must be a sollution, this car would make a fantastic 2+2 ,there are no 2+2 soft tops available ,maybe this storage area could be modified and strength/ replaced with a clever roll bar or T bar:confused:.love the gaffa tape idea but don,t think i can sell it to the wife !
For convertable 2+2 your looking at BMW's / SAAB's / Volvo's, but the Spider is like the MX5 / Elan / MGF's of this world, a simple 2 seater 'traditional' sports soft top. In fact th Spider in that class has the most space behind the driver seats, but even then its enough only for a small gym bag or tennis rackets and nothing else, well maybe a sandwich.

In a way the whole point of these class of cars, is that kids CAN'T come with you!! ;)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Always thought my GT would make and awesome convertible 2+2

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have thought about that but most of the work has already been done on a spider,i assumed both cars have the same floor plan and were the same wheelbase etc .think i need to have a good look at both cars especially the strengthened area behind the seats on the spider,or does anyone have pics of this raised strengthened part ?

·
Banned
2,933 Posts
Not worth contemplating.....

I am looking at buying a gtv but really would like a spider.The problem is i could really do with somewhere to put the kids.I was wondering if you removed the soft top from a spider is there room to fit the seats from a gtv ? .I was then thinking about fitting an autodelta hard top .Does anyone know if this is possible or even been done?
cheers Sean
I have thought about that but most of the work has already been done on a spider,i assumed both cars have the same floor plan and were the same wheelbase etc .think i need to have a good look at both cars especially the strengthened area behind the seats on the spider,or does anyone have pics of this raised strengthened part ?

No, no & no(well yes but......).......sell the children.

Even if the seats could be accomodated etc etc, you'd need to design a one off longer hardtop which would not only cost a small fortune but IMO look hideous.:vomit:

Edit: Plus you won't have a soft top so whats the point?

Clive

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think the answer will have to be a gtv roof chop and make a removable hard top,but sounds like a lot more work than i have time for. Maybe i do the chop and make the roof later on

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
It has to be easier to go down the German/Swede route. I would think converting either the GTV or Spider would be an engineering/financial disaster and the end product not worth the hassle and cost one bit. :confused:

·
Registered
948 Posts
.....that looks like an Audi...or a bath tub....no nice lines at the rear.

Clive
Agreed, that is none too clever really :(

I have somewhere a secret report on the convertible ARNA that was going to be produced a few years ago :p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts