Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm looking for some advise, I have set my heart on a spider (outside chance Brera). I have done a lot of reading, but I wondered which is the best option for overall reliability.
Diesel obviously has better MPG, cheaper tax but is noisy, unlike the 2.2 petrol.

What are your thoughts?

Ta

·
Registered
114 Posts
The 2.4 is a marvellous engine and pulls like a train after a remap. It's probably the most characterful diesel I've ever driven too. That said, doesn't have the theatre of the 2.2.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
It's a difficult one.

The 2.4 is a great engine but it is a diesel engine and lots of people will say you don't drive a soft top Alfa with a diesel engine.

The 2.2 is a GM engine and lots can go wrong with that, especially the timing chain. There are other issues but I'm sure if you do a search on here you can read all about it.

There were a small number of the last models fitted with the 1750 tbi engine, that may be worth a look, but they're very rare and are priced accordingly. The same goes for the 2.0 diesel, which is a good compromise over the 2.4, but is again very rare.

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
If you do a big annual mileage get a Brera DERV. A diesel soft top is crazy.
If you do a modest to average mileage, the petrol. Very simple.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will likely drive about 700 miles a month, so a diesel may be the better option. Is the timing chain the worse problem encountered on the 2.2? I think I saw it was about £550 to have it replaced.

With the top down, music up and wind rushing by, i dont think the diesel engine would be too noticeable

·
Registered
656 Posts
Have a listen to the 2.4; it's not as clattery as you'd imagine. When rev'd it sounds surprisingly smooth. Plus it blows the 2.2 away for performance!

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
Any cabrio is to be equipped with top petrol engine available from the range.
Such car is dedicated for fun drive only and normally it is second or other next car from the own park.
If we talk about real fun, such rubbish things like mpg or taxes are not important.
Any compromise use other than fun of cabrio makes no difference between 22JTS/24JTDM.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
if it were me on your mileage..

2.4 Brera remapped with EGR and DPF removal or 3.2 spider..

simples:thumbup:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
how frequently should the timing belt on the 2.4 be changed, and roughly how much? ta.

Going to view some next weekend

·
Registered
114 Posts
About every 70k, closer to 65k IIRC to be safe. Water pump should be done at the same time.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I've had both engines in the Brera and liked them both. Overall I would say I preferred the 2.2. It wasn't as fast (I had the 2.4 remapped) but probably more fun to drive. Mind you I had fitted Eibach springs and powerflexed the front suspension which really improved things. The 2.2 exhaust is terrible and should I get another I would replace it along with a good remap to fix the hesitation issue.

It's not easy, is it??

·
Registered
38,682 Posts
Personally I would have the 2.4 Diesel and get it remapped.

The 2.2 will be slower, less economical, probably less reliable and it doesn't even sound all that great.

Plus it is mated to the dreaded M32 gearbox, which often gives issues.

Once you are moving with the roof down you are unlikely to hear the fact it is a diesel, and when driven hard they do sound surprisingly good.

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
Just a picture to be imagined.
Nice guy, nice girl, branded outfits, branded sunglasses, cabrio, open top, nice weather, highway to London, 150 km/h, first traffic light on red with eventual traffic jam and bloody DERV still not complete DPF regeneration yet.
:depressed:

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
With only about 8.5k miles a year it has to be petrol.
Just look at the number of threads on here related to problems with DERVs.
They need to be driven a good distance on a regular basis, unless you take the route a lot do with DPF removal, and then to hell with the environment and pollute to your heart's content.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Very True. :yes:
Take your pick:smoker:
It has taken a while but I have really bonded with the 2.2 in my Brera. It's not quick, but it is quick enough and seems pretty robust. I've factored in that it may need a new chain at some point, but these are a similar price to the cam belts I needed regularly for my old V6 GTV. I've no idea if my gearbox has been rebuilt in the past but it is an absolute peach - not at all what I was expecting from the advice on here!

By the same token the derv may not be as unreliable as everyone says, but with the top down you are still going to hear it and smell it which for me makes it a better proposition in the Brera

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, for one reason or another I've decided on a 2.4 brera. Should have it in a week. Then let the fun begin! ???

1 - 20 of 27 Posts