Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Can anyone help? Hydrollics went on the hood in August. This has been sorted and had no problems until now. Just before the hydrollics went on the hood if the car went over any bumps or potholes the dash would light up saying that the closing cycle had not completed (the roof is not down). This stayed on until I stopped the car and then use the button to close the roof (which is not down).

Today on the way to work went over a pothole and the samething is happening. Anyone else had this problem and know what is causing it?

Thanks for your help with this.....

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Hi

Can anyone help? Hydrollics went on the hood in August. This has been sorted and had no problems until now. Just before the hydrollics went on the hood if the car went over any bumps or potholes the dash would light up saying that the closing cycle had not completed (the roof is not down). This stayed on until I stopped the car and then use the button to close the roof (which is not down).

Today on the way to work went over a pothole and the samething is happening. Anyone else had this problem and know what is causing it?

Thanks for your help with this.....
It could be the flaps that lift up and cover the corners of the rear deck when you put the roof down. If you watch the operation whilst sat on the door sill facing backwards you'll know what I mean.

They are really sensitive and even have a do not touch warning on them. They might just need a small adjustment at the dealers to fix the issue.

Just a guess, so could be wrong. Either way a dealer visit will be required to inspect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that information.......will have a look at what you suggested Mikey, am sure it will need to go to the Doc's!! I will let you know what happens. Cheers!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Roof Cycle when driving over bumps

Has a fix been identified for the roof cycle not completing when driving over bumps?

·
Registered
1 Posts
roof problem

Hi Just joined this site after owning one since december. yes had the same problem. it got worse and just managed to get in under warranty. the garage hinted it was a common problem and fitted "new roof mechanism motors " so far after 5 days no problem and thats using the car constantly over potholes and speed bumps... hope this helps

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Hi Scottie,

Welcome to AO

sorry to hear you've had the 'common' roof flap problem, i had mine replaced last summer and I've had no problems with them since (touch wood) ... i never had a problem with speed bumps triggering a warning on mine even when they needed replacing

·
Registered
216 Posts
Mine have been replaced twice - the first lot of replacement motors were faulty hence the second set. No problems since but it's been a long and torrid saga!

·
Registered
346 Posts
long and torrid saga? Have a look at my posts!!:lol:

Seriously, though, I'd be interested to find out if there's anyone that's never had a problem with the roof mechanism on these Spiders... and if anyone's managed to get it fixed and then not have a problem again for a couple years (not trying to tend your confidence Seasider, honest - in fact keeping fingers crossed for you!).

When we started having trouble we did a rough poll on here and it seemed then that about 60% of people had had a problem but most seemed to get it fixed first time... but since then some of those that reported a successful fix went on to have problems again, I think, and some that hadn't had a problem then did later...

We still (despite everything) miss the Spider and would get another in a heartbeat if we had any confidence at all that it was possible to have one with any roof problems. Sadly, the odds just don't seem good enough to risk it :(

·
Registered
346 Posts
Meant to add (think I mentioned it before) that the tech AR sent to one of the dealers to look at ours said to me that the motors they were using weren't really up to the job and would probably fail again! He got it fixed that time, and it worked for a good few months, before crapping out with the same problem.

He didn't mention whether the spec of motors had been changed at any stage (seemed to be the LEs that were most affected, but it might just be that there were a lot of them).

·
Registered
116 Posts

Seriously, though, I'd be interested to find out if there's anyone that's never had a problem with the roof mechanism on these Spiders... and if anyone's managed to get it fixed and then not have a problem again for a couple years (not trying to tend your confidence Seasider, honest - in fact keeping fingers crossed for you!).

When we started having trouble we did a rough poll on here and it seemed then that about 60% of people had had a problem but most seemed to get it fixed first time... but since then some of those that reported a successful fix went on to have problems again, I think, and some that hadn't had a problem then did later...

We still (despite everything) miss the Spider and would get another in a heartbeat if we had any confidence at all that it was possible to have one with any roof problems. Sadly, the odds just don't seem good enough to risk it :(
ive had my spider for about 10 months and the car is just now reaching the beginning of the 3rd year and as of yet (even prior to my ownership) and as far as I know the cars hood hasnt had any problems. Its been working fine - touch wood.

I bet ive cursed it now eh.

I do get worried and pray without fail every time I put the hood down or up.

·
Registered
116 Posts
oh i have a 3.2 v6 so maybe it wouldnt be expected that I have hood problems but why would the roof/hood motors be different anyways?

S

·
0 Posts
Mine has been doing this for months and the dealer can't figure it out.

Long and tedious tale, but so far we've narrowed it down to something that's happening in the passenger door. Trouble is it's one of these faults you can't force. Sometimes it happens going round a corner, another day running over a Grand Canyon of a pothole won't make it happen.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Mine did this too, back in the day!

It was one of the rear catches on mine, allowing the hood to pop up at the back. They fixed under warranty of course

·
Registered
76 Posts

Ive had mine for about 8 months and the only time it failed to open was in Dec when it was frozen to the header rail!
Apart from that I have had no problems. Ifs the roofs not wet and it doesn't look like rain I have the roof down, so I would guess about 100 cycles without problem.
I have even fitted a Smarttop module to allow operation from the remote.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Ive had mine for about 8 months and the only time it failed to open was in Dec when it was frozen to the header rail!
Apart from that I have had no problems. Ifs the roofs not wet and it doesn't look like rain I have the roof down, so I would guess about 100 cycles without problem.
I have even fitted a Smarttop module to allow operation from the remote.
Now that's encouraging. I'm guessing yours isn't an LE? I wonder if the LEs had more problems, for whatever reason?

Tempting to think ours was just a lemon but there were just too many guys on here with the same story for that to be the case. Would be great to hear from anyone else that hasn't had a problem - especially for more than a year! (I think ours worked fine for a few months, between the 6th and 7th attempt to fix it I think it worked OK all through the winter, but could tell when summer came and would conk out accordingly!)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Your right, mine is not an LE.
LE's do seem to have more reported problems I wonder if they were cutting costs in the invisable parts?

It is such a shame you had problems, because roof down the car is in a class of its own (at the price anyway!).
I wish you well in your hunt for a car with a working roof, but you cant have mine:lol:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Your right, mine is not an LE.
LE's do seem to have more reported problems I wonder if they were cutting costs in the invisable parts?

It is such a shame you had problems, because roof down the car is in a class of its own (at the price anyway!).
I wish you well in your hunt for a car with a working roof, but you cant have mine:lol:
Yep, completely agree. Having looked at all the German stuff, have come back to looking again at a Brera (no roof problems) or another Spider (maybe roof problems) because there's just nothing to touch it under £80k in terms of looks and rarity.

S

·
0 Posts
Mine's fixed. :thumbs:

Hasn't done it for a couple of weeks now, anyway. I told the dealers that John at Mangos knew how to fix it and, if they didn't, I suggested they call him. Don't know if they made the call or not but it's sorted.

Hallelujah.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Having a problem getting my Spider 2.2 JTS hood to seal properly at the end of the closing cycle. One side of the hood completely down but the other side has about 1/4" gap & when driving I can see the hood bouncing up & down particularly at speed. Took the car to an Alfa/Fiat main dealer but they could not resolve the issue, just greased & oiled all the mechanisms. Very frustrating. Anybody any ideas?

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
Having a problem getting my Spider 2.2 JTS hood to seal properly at the end of the closing cycle. One side of the hood completely down but the other side has about 1/4" gap & when driving I can see the hood bouncing up & down particularly at speed. Took the car to an Alfa/Fiat main dealer but they could not resolve the issue, just greased & oiled all the mechanisms. Very frustrating. Anybody any ideas?
Have you tried forcing back the manual lever on the side that's playing up?
Make sure it's fully locked out and then hit the electric button again to seal it.
I live with this constant issue - part manual, part electric.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts