Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Throwing this out to gauge interest......
After buying last week a 2.2 Spider Italia independent (one of 7 in the U.K.) it was bought as a knee jerk due to its rarity more than anything else, I’ve come to the conclusion after only 1 week I am not going to get on with it??
Obviously summer days are not upon us just yet but I just can’t see myself enjoying the drive?
If anyone is interested in the above model on a 2010 plate, cam chains were done recently, long MOT and everything working as it should (well they do now!) PM me.
I’ve recently given her a good going over, cleaning the body work, roof and protection, engine bay is now spotless, 4 brand new tyres etc.
Sadly, the 2.2 engine is something I just can’t get used to, such a beautiful looking car, rare as rocking horse poo, but not for me - Any reasonable offers considered (no silly quotes, jibes or offers)
Thank you

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not for me....but I'm sure the rarity alone will have that sold in no time.....hold out for a profit!
I suppose it suits some but I’ve been spoilt with my 2.4 - Such a shame they put such an underperforming engine in such a gorgeous looking convertible.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Agreed....it's no fire cracker in the 159 either...not enough torque and what there is, is too high up the rev range....but let's not go there...you already started one petrol/ diesel debate...ones enough for now! Lol.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m sure someone will be after it if not just for it’s rarity - I’d stick it on jacks in the garage, if I had one.....Lol
Currently on the drive under cover.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
February is no time to be selling a soft top, I would sit on it untill the sun comes out and then advertise it, plus you won't have to expkain to a potential buyer why your selling it after such a short while.
Auto Italia day at Brooklands in May woukd be a good place to have a small for sale sign in the window.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
February is no time to be selling a soft top, I would sit on it untill the sun comes out and then advertise it, plus you won't have to expkain to a potential buyer why your selling it after such a short while.
Auto Italia day at Brooklands in May woukd be a good place to have a small for sale sign in the window.
My thoughts exactly - Summer is the best time to sell these.
Not too bothered about reason, just being honest in saying the engine is woefully underpowered and should never have been fitted into such a beautiful car.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Thats not a good sales pitch though..😁 maybe stick to the, dI'd love to keep it but the pram wont fit in the boot, need something more practical for kids, elderly parents etc..

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats not a good sales pitch though..�� maybe stick to the, dI'd love to keep it but the pram wont fit in the boot, need something more practical for kids, elderly parents etc..
Then question why I have a Brera.....Lol
Like I said, it suits some people and most if not all on here know about the 2.2’s - Hopefully it’s very limited numbers will sell it over and above anything else.
OR I could say, I’m selling as I can’t fit a better engine in it.....Ha Ha!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Well that didn’t last long, sad to hear mate.
I know what you mean when I went from 2.0 petrol turbo TT to the Spider I thought what on earth have I done but after a few months forgot about the performance of the TT and it’s fine.
Trouble is you keeping the Brera that’s not going to happen for you, I wish you well with the sale I am sure it will go stunning looking car👍

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Goodness me, after all that.

It's a pity the old twin-spark and Busso V6 couldn't have continued, but emissions regs and the whole GM tie-up put paid to that.
That said, who knows where we'd be with Alfa right now if GM hadn't stepped in.
All part of Alfa's colourful history.

My 2.0 TS was simply glorious, and certainly the 2.2 JTS is no match for it.
But not many buy a convertible for driving dynamics, it's usually a style / lifestyle thing, and to be honest as long as it had a petrol engine, the Spider was fine for me. But it was a long, long time ago when I bought it, and I've said before on here: no way would I have another. And a turbo 1.75 is no more tempting for me either. The cars have too many flaws.
But lots of things can be forgiven for those looks. Even now, it's difficult to find anything more gorgeous IMHO.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I wouldn't say the 2.2 is underpowered as such - as a lorry driver I know what underpowered feels like! - sure it's no rocket ship, but it will hustle when you want it to, you just need to get the revs up. Below 2000 it can be sleepy, but above that it quickly comes to life and over 4000 it changes character again and charges to the redline with a wicked grin on its face.
I think the biggest problems with it are the twin sparks that came before it and the 2.4 diesel. Although it's more powerful it's not as tuneful as the TS and probably a disappointment to anyone who's owned one so is seen as a poor successor. As for the 2.4, it develops more power lower in the rev range but every diesel I've ever driven runs out of breath around 3500 and I'd expect the 2.4 to be similar (correct me if I'm wrong please!) so anyone tuned in to the diesel mindset will most likely struggle with having to rev the thing to get any life out of it.
Let's not forget also that the 2.2, like the TS is primarily for cars used as a daily hack and performance wouldn't necessarily be a priority, those wanting the a performance car could go for the higher spec Busso or 3.2 JTS.
I have at my disposal a 1990 300SL which has a similar power to weight ratio to my 159. This doesn't feel underpowered either, but with the roof off and the sun beating down speed really doesn't matter, it's more about the wind in the hair (what's left of it anyway!) and enjoying the feeling of being out in the open. It really is a totally different motoring experience and i think a diesel would take some of the charm and pleasure out of it.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wouldn't say the 2.2 is underpowered as such - as a lorry driver I know what underpowered feels like! - sure it's no rocket ship, but it will hustle when you want it to, you just need to get the revs up. Below 2000 it can be sleepy, but above that it quickly comes to life and over 4000 it changes character again and charges to the redline with a wicked grin on its face.
I think the biggest problems with it are the twin sparks that came before it and the 2.4 diesel. Although it's more powerful it's not as tuneful as the TS and probably a disappointment to anyone who's owned one so is seen as a poor successor. As for the 2.4, it develops more power lower in the rev range but every diesel I've ever driven runs out of breath around 3500 and I'd expect the 2.4 to be similar (correct me if I'm wrong please!) so anyone tuned in to the diesel mindset will most likely struggle with having to rev the thing to get any life out of it.
Let's not forget also that the 2.2, like the TS is primarily for cars used as a daily hack and performance wouldn't necessarily be a priority, those wanting the a performance car could go for the higher spec Busso or 3.2 JTS.
I have at my disposal a 1990 300SL which has a similar power to weight ratio to my 159. This doesn't feel underpowered either, but with the roof off and the sun beating down speed really doesn't matter, it's more about the wind in the hair (what's left of it anyway!) and enjoying the feeling of being out in the open. It really is a totally different motoring experience and i think a diesel would take some of the charm and pleasure out of it.
After talking to someone today who owns a 3.2 and a 2.2, he mentioned driving styles and that the 2.2 needs pushing to get her into the higher rev range!?
So, gritting my teeth off I went to test his theory.....Sure enough he’s right! The car did feel much better but still sounded as if she was being punished (I can see why these chains don’t last!!)
Anyway, it seems a slight adjustment in my driving style and not drive it like some old dear, she’s not to bad :cheeky:

·
Registered
533 Posts
I did make the same point in a previous thread, you have take it up high into the rev range to get the best out of it.

For me it takes the fun out of proceedings if everything’s low down anyway. Better for lazy driving but little else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did make the same point in a previous thread, you have take it up high into the rev range to get the best out of it.

For me it takes the fun out of proceedings if everything’s low down anyway. Better for lazy driving but little else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drive it like you stole it....Lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts