Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am just purchased a 2001 Alfa Spider 2.0 T Spark which I am extremely happy with. However, there seems to be a problem with the revving.
When the car is stationary/idle, the revs seem to drop as if the car is about to stall but then corrects itself and this continues until I drive off.
Also, when I speed up iot feels as if something is holding the car back.
It is also often hard to start unless it has been left for a short while.
Othe than that, the car seems to drive fine and it only has 54,000 on the clock.
Any advice as to what this could be would be very much appreciated.
Thank you all.
Steve

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
I'd suspect the MAF (airflow sensor) first of all. Unplugging it can diagnose whether it's faulty, but I had to change my dodgy one to prove that it was faulty.

Could also be an obstructed exhaust, but I'd check the MAF first.

HTH,

Iain

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Sounds like it could be the MAF. You can diagnose the problem by disconnecting the plug that goes into the MAF then running the car and seeing what it feels like.

Always, always, always try to clean your MAF before you buy a new one. The MAF can stop working properly if it gets a bit of dirt on it, or maybe a bit of oil from an aftermarket airfilter. More likely than not it'll fix the problem and save you £100.

Here's a guide - Fun starts @ 3000!

It's reasonably simple to do, and would probably take me 10-15 minutes now I've done it once already.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Bouncing idle is also often caused by a split in main air intake pipe (concertine one between MAF and throttle body) or a faulty Lambda sensor.

If MPG is down as well then it's more likely to be the Lambda than MAF.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts