Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a Spider using 18" rims which tyre size would you use?

225/35/R18
225/40/R18

Do any one have any experience using the above mentioned sizes?

·
Registered
30,391 Posts
Normally I'd say 225/40R18 too, but don't some TS Spider have clearance issues on the front (damper/springpan)?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Normally I'd say 225/40R18 too, but don't some TS Spider have clearance issues on the front (damper/springpan)?
I'm running 18" rims with 225/40R18 and she's lowered 20mm but I hadn't noticed any problems with the front though the rear sometimes rubs a wee bit on rough high speed corners.

Steve...

Attachments

·
Registered
30,391 Posts
I'm running 18" rims with 225/40R18 and she's lowered 20mm but I hadn't noticed any problems with the front though the rear sometimes rubs a wee bit on rough high speed corners.
Tyre clearance to the springpan, so lowering doesn't change that.
From previous posts on here it is only early Ph1 TS Spiders, but it depends what dampers they have now.

No info on here saying which year TS Spider the OP has.

·
Registered
30,391 Posts
I have 215/35/18s (long storey) on the spider with GT blackline alloys...I have had no problems...
Any back pain...?

Those will clear anything, they are smaller diameter than the little 205/50R16

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Tyre clearance to the springpan, so lowering doesn't change that.
From previous posts on here it is only early Ph1 TS Spiders, but it depends what dampers they have now.

No info on here saying which year TS Spider the OP has.
It's the TS Koni Sports that have a slightly lower fr springpan, I think even new 225/45 17s sometimes have a problem, that's why they're not recomended for later TSs with the 17" option wheels.

Clive

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I thought the ride was hard enough on 17" wheels.
It is but 18s with 40 profiles, & even 19s with 35 profiles, don't actually feel any harder on normal, including rough/crappy, road surfaces........but if you hit a pothole then they do.

I've got 16s, 17s, 18s & 19s, even had a Spider on 18s which felt fine,......16s feel comfy all the rest feel the same..........hard, IMO.

Clive

·
Registered
147 Posts
If you hit a pothole then they do !!! Come on Clive driving a 916 in Brighton with the dreadfull roads on 18 inch wheels is hell. Where in our area of Sussex can you drive on 18 inch wheels without being in misery. I ran 18 inch for two years a while ago now im on 17 inch and its a pleasure that's unless you drive up Ditchling rd in Brighton or most of central Brighton cos the roads are poor.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
If you hit a pothole then they do !!! Come on Clive driving a 916 in Brighton with the dreadfull roads on 18 inch wheels is hell. Where in our area of Sussex can you drive on 18 inch wheels without being in misery. I ran 18 inch for two years a while ago now im on 17 inch and its a pleasure that's unless you drive up Ditchling rd in Brighton or most of central Brighton cos the roads are poor.

Sorry Kev, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Also I'm hardly ever in Brighton nowadays, I'm driving around our even worse rural countryside roads in West Sussex most of the time.

Yes the roads are poor but 17 45s feel about as 'hard' as 18 40s & 19 35s IMO. I'm not alone in this....see others previous posts + : http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/motoring-images/872290-new-wheels-on-my-gtv.html#post13307418

Different tyres, tyre pressures & suspension condition/spec can also have a lot to play in how they feel.

I've got a Honda Accord Executive Estate on 225 45 17s which felt rock hard, I thought there was something wrong with the suspension...googled it only to find out they all do on the factory option 17s!? Solution, drop tyre pressure 5psi...lovely but I wouldn't recommend it for hi speed or a long distance/heavy load trip. Similar scenario: 2 Merc estates; 2001 on 15s, 2006 on 17s....the older car on 15s is more comfortable by far.

Clive

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
17s feel about the same as 18s during regular driving. Over rough surfaces id say you feel the bumps slightly more with the 18s. Main (bad) difference for me with the 18s was the rubbing on the rear tyres through high speed corners (but my car is lowered, which will probably have made a difference).

The real difference is with 16s. Much more comfortable, and slightly better handling too IMO. But of course they arent as pretty!

I keep a set of 17s for daily driving and a set of 16s for sporty driving.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
17s feel about the same as 18s during regular driving. Over rough surfaces id say you feel the bumps slightly more with the 18s. Main (bad) difference for me with the 18s was the rubbing on the rear tyres through high speed corners (but my car is lowered, which will probably have made a difference).

The real difference is with 16s. Much more comfortable, and slightly better handling too IMO. But of course they arent as pretty!

I keep a set of 17s for daily driving and a set of 16s for sporty driving.
It's not the wheel diameter, or lowering, that causes rubbing/clearance issues, it's the extra wheel width combined with the different/incorrect wheel ET/spacing & not having bump stops fitted(lowering just uses up the first 20 or 30 mm of suspension travel, it doesn't affect the last part when it rubs). That's why we run smaller profile tyres on 18s & 19s trying to keep the overall diameter as close to 225/45 17.

Std 205/50 16s are smaller & speedo over reads!!?? Why Alfa?? Fitting 205/55 16s make them even more comfortable, handling suffers a bit but the speedo's not as far out.

Correctly spaced I've run 18s with no clearance issues, 19s only lightly touch the front inner plasitic arch liners when on lock.

Clive

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Maths was never my strong point but the difference in overall diameter between the various wheel/tyre combinations should have little effect on speedo readings at road legal speeds. For example the difference in circumference between a 205/50/16 and 205/55/16 is less than 2% or 2 mph at 100 mph.

·
Registered
30,391 Posts
Maths was never my strong point but the difference in overall diameter between the various wheel/tyre combinations should have little effect on speedo readings at road legal speeds. For example the difference in circumference between a 205/50/16 and 205/55/16 is less than 2% or 2 mph at 100 mph.
I have an Excel spreadsheet for 156 gearing which shows:
There is 2.4MPH difference at 70MPH
3.4MPH difference at 100MPH

1 - 20 of 21 Posts