Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people.. im havin some very big problems on the last 1 % of finishing me new 33..

i get no signal on me km/h clock..

things ive done:
- 3 speedo sensor
- 2 clock (dashboard)
- checked the cables and connectors and stuff
- switched me old gearbox (was better anyways)

so in total all me old stuff (sensor clock gearbox) from me old car are in the new one now.. worked before and aint working now..

i really dont know what to do now.. can anybody give me some advise

THNX !!
grtz Marc

·
Banned
10,277 Posts
First of all, the gearbox that you now have on the car, was it originally working with electronic sensor or hard square cable ?

If it was electronic, your electronic sensor that comes out of the gearbox should have 3 pins !
Test that with a multimeter. You should have 1 ground cable, 1 power with ignition on and 1 signal.
If you have both ground and power, a good way to test the signal is if you put the car on stands - be sure that its safe, and connect a rev meter on that signal cable.
Put it in gear and see if the rev meter works.

If it doesnt then you have a problem with your sensor.
If it does then check your connectors, spray some contact cleaner on the pins and try again.

You may have a bad connection at some point.

I cant remember the cable colours right now but I have the wiring diagram of the 33, should be relatively easy to find them though anyway.

Good luck :thumbs:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have the wiring diagram also... but the way to check the sensor im gonna do now first..

gearbox was with sensor yes... and was working on old car.. now switched to new one.. with same clock and sensor .. now nothin...

thnx alot.. i'll report the results later

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have the same trouble now. It's more likely to be the dashboard, i just don't know what can be damaged in this speed sensor, but there are plenty of things that stopped working in the speedo and dashboard after all the time they've used.

The wires that come from the sensor are ground and signal. The wires at back of dashboard are:
black - ground
red - 12v
yellow - signal

The problem can be this:
ImageShack - Image Hosting :: compteur08.jpg

·
Registered
725 Posts
Check the metal clips in the plug which connects the speedo wire to the back of the instrument panel. My speedo wasn't working and, after a lot of testing and retesting, I found that someone had pushed the connector into place roughly and the internal contacts were all bent.
Cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thnx for all reactions !!
but just to make sure... if everything is connected there should be 12 v on one of the 3 cables all the time? even wenn car is not in gear?? so the sensor gets the current and not makes his own with some induction , magnetism ??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok.. we get no current from sensor.. now i got a new clock(dashboard) to test 1 or 2 things... only its froma 1,4, i've got 1,7 16v
does that matter ????

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
problem finally solved :)

was the clock that was broken (2 times :S)

thanx for the support !! i'll make some pictures wenn it's has the new parts on (zender sideskirts, some savali, rear spoiler) and post them somewhere here...

grtz marc

·
Registered
1 Posts
Speedo Tacho Problems

Hi, I had very much the same problems to the one you are having with my 8v Sportwagon. I investigated, tested and where possible took everything remotely connected to the problem to bits....just to discover a few weeks ago (when leaning my mug of tea on the battery), that one of the many cables attached to the new battery I had fitted was loose. I cleaned everything up, including every earthing point I could find (after taking off much of the I.E. fuel injection kit), frankly not expecting it to make any difference but guess what...all the instruments now work as intended! All I need now is to stop the engine dribbling perfectly clean oil everywhere I go!:rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts