Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm looking for some info regarding the Borletti speedo clusters - I've already asked on another forum but I guess asking here again won't hurt!

My speedo is not working and I'm sure there is no problem with the loom - there is good continuity from the dashboard to the sensor (from what I read this is a VR sensor, anyone can confirm?) and back. I did find a cooked resistor on the speedo electronics board though, and if anyone has info/photos of this resistor I would greatly appreciate them since I cannot read the colour markings on mine. The resistor is connected to the emitter of the transistor that in turn drives the needle motor so I'll change the transistor too.

This toasted resistor is the only resistor on the side of the board with big (through hole) components and with wire connectors.

Any help is welcome!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help BigAl!

The resistor on my speedo measures out at 15Ohm, while the colour code in the photo is 6.8Ohm. I'll replace that together with the fried transistor.

Do you know if anyone here has managed to recalibrate their speedos for example after changing wheels?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The electrical gremlins are living up to their reputation - the speedo is once again not working but my reasoning is that its due to a completely different fault from last time. If anyone thinks I'm mistaken please correct me!

Symptoms are that over the last couple of days the speedo intermittently drops to zero and either jumps up immediately or stays there for any other random time (even indefinitely). I have seen it happen in sync with bumps and potholes so my first thought would be a loose contact. Once I switched off the engine and turned it on and just after turning on it worked suggesting trouble with the ignition key contacts.

Interestingly enough yesterday the brake warning light started turning on under braking - I think "no problem, I'll change the pads" - then as I'm driving I noticed that when the speedo stops working the brake warning light turns off! For me this points even stronger to a problem in the circuit supplying power to the electronics rather than a fried sensor or cut sensor wire.

Does anyone have any tips regarding refurbishing the ignition switch?

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
hey alfa-g
Having the speedo drop off completely, leans towards the gearbox sender and or all the connections on the console.
I suffered this too in the past and knowing the gearbox sensor is delicate, I just took off all the connecting blocks and bent out all the connections and cleaned the copper on the console with a copper flux. No problems since, good luck

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll be looking into that over the week if I manage to find some time.

Going slightly OT, what brand of brake pads are considered best? I know some people swear by green stuff and others hate it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Kris!
Yes I have changed the transistor a couple of months ago - I put a transistor with similar specifications but with a better power rating so it does not burn out. Now the damage is different but I have not found it yet because I have no time to work on it at the moment. It can wait a little more!

·
Registered
358 Posts
If the transistor is not the reason - there are plenty of scenarios ... see the cable to the sensor, or find new cable with sensor, before that you should try another dashboard with speedo ... if there is anything that i can help... please

1 - 18 of 18 Posts