Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I have recently bought a lovely phase 2 gtv with 168000 on the clock.
It has a fault where the speedo and rev counter will drop to 0 and then suddenly start working again half a second later. This may happen continuously on a journey, once or twice, or sometimes not at all.
I have read a few threads but can't find a similar case.
what do you think?

cheers.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have the exact same problem on a 1998 TS Spider. Only on my car it only happens when I run the air conditioner. I presume it's a power overload type problem or the alternator isn't at capacity.

Do what I do. Ignor and enjoy the car!

Robert

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
When I had this, but Rev counter only, I dismantled the speedo/rev counter pod and removed & replaced the Rev counter dial, which cured the problem.

I assume my action improved electrical contact via the four spikes on the back of the dial.

but if you have both dials dropping to zero at the same time, if may not be the same problem

Rich ;)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Rich is on the right lines I beleive.
I would also suggest that the instrument cluster is removed and the connections cleaned, both on the cluster and the connectors to it. Also checking the relevant fuse for cleanness and good contact may be a good idea.
The cluster has 12V feeds and earths to it along with the relevant signals.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks very much guys I will explore the connections next week. Sound like a good plan.
cheers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts