Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
22:50 at night, clear road, dry, low traffic, 81mph on the M4 (J19/J20). £100 fine/3 points or the dreaded Speed awareness course...sigh...

I've had a clean licence for years now, so will probably go on the course...

Not sure what device it was, didn't see it. The Notice says "Automatic Camera Device". So beware if you are in the area.

:censored:

·
Registered
36,801 Posts
I got a letter on Friday 61 in a 50. Did a course 5 years ago. Would the option be open to me or should the awareness of speed last a few years?

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes you should be given the option. My last course was I think about 4 years ago. Still suffering from the tedium of it... I was the youngest there by about 20 years....it was full of the older generation who really had not much idea why they were there. I think pretty much everyone (including me) was caught out at Pencraig on the A40 where they have a particularly zealous clamp down every few weeks.

Still we all had a nice day out and tea and biscuits.

·
Registered
38,687 Posts
22:50 at night, clear road, dry, low traffic, 81mph on the M4 (J19/J20). £100 fine/3 points or the dreaded Speed awareness course...sigh...

Not sure what device it was, didn't see it. The Notice says "Automatic Camera Device". So beware if you are in the area.

I know technically that is still speeding, but even so... Is 81 mph on a near empty motorway all that dangerous?

No wonder motorists are seen as cash cows.

·
Registered
14,827 Posts

That will be the variable speed limit section. Even when the signs say national limit (i.e. Normal motorway speeds) those cameras remain active and are always flashing. Always go through there at 70.

·
Registered
38,687 Posts
Just gonna have to take it on the chin.....if i am not mistaken the course usually costs the same as the fine....is it the 3 penalty points that worries you the most ?

Read here : Why a speed awareness course could hike up your insurance premiums | Money | The Guardian
That is total and utter b*ll*cks what the insurer is saying.

How they can say that those who speed are more likely to have a crash is ridiculous, when you consider that pretty much everyone speeds from time to time whether intentional or not.

Unless being caught makes you more likely to crash?

·
Registered
44,882 Posts

If you had been going 2 or 3 mph slower you might have got away with it. 10% + 2mph is what the allow or at least used to allow. Maybe its only 10% these days.

·
Administrator
23,081 Posts
I have been on two speed awareness courses (over three years apart) and have had a total of 12 points over the years - all for speeding in 70 mph limits. I am neither proud nor ashamed. Currently I have three points on my licence (two months ago).

My point? Regardless of my thoughts on the matter I was fully aware of what I was doing each time and the consequences if caught. The speed awareness courses are heavily biased towards not speeding in 30mph areas (which I wasn't) but were managed well despite some people showing a rude contempt for them.

Despite declaring each offence to my insurance company it has not affected my premiums.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts

How they can say that those who speed are more likely to have a crash is ridiculous, when you consider that pretty much everyone speeds from time to time whether intentional or not.

Agree with you 100% but when is anything common sense anymore nowadays ?? ;(

·
Registered
38,319 Posts

Total scam. Only in th UK #RipoffBritain

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
Total scam. Only in the UK #RipoffBritain
What would the fine be for exceeding the motorway limit by 17% (a speed of 152kph) in France Tata?

I'll be honest I don't have a great deal of sympathy for people who deliberately break the speed limit by such a margin. I wish you all the best alfabeat but slowing down by 5 -10 mph would have saved you 3 points and £100 or a speed awareness course.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
It's still €90 I think. €130 if you don't pay in 28 days.

1 point.

And **** all to do with your insurance company.

·
Registered
36,801 Posts

The speed awareness course taught me that the rural A roads are where the safety/ speeding issue is at its worst. I'm pretty convinced that the QE2 bridge where I am accused of committing my offence used to be a 60 limit but was reduced when they went to 'plate recognition for charging the toll. The bridge is technically a B road but it's perceived as part of the M25.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just gonna have to take it on the chin.....if i am not mistaken the course usually costs the same as the fine....is it the 3 penalty points that worries you the most ?

Read here : Why a speed awareness course could hike up your insurance premiums | Money | The Guardian
The course is £90, fine was £100, but it is the 3 points I don't want. I know I don't have any at the moment, but it is all too easy to get a few "silly" 3 pointers (like this one!).

A course or points have never affected my insurance policy in the past. Mind you the maximum I have ever had is 6 at any one time.

And speaking of insurance, just got our renewal through from Admiral - 4 cars (Alfa GTA, Defender, XC90 and Yeti) on a multi car policy for £790. Not too bad!

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What would the fine be for exceeding the motorway limit by 17% (a speed of 152kph) in France Tata?

I'll be honest I don't have a great deal of sympathy for people who deliberately break the speed limit by such a margin. I wish you all the best alfabeat but slowing down by 5 -10 mph would have saved you 3 points and £100 or a speed awareness course.
Not looking for sympathy or a way out.

It's just there is no joined up thinking or discussion about motorway speed limits. Last time I heard they were talking about increasing the limit to 80mph, as the experts felt it was safe to do so and cars have moved on a bit since the 70mph limit was set, now they are enforcing the 70mph limit stricter than ever before.

Thankfully I don't do many miles on motorways anymore. If I did, I think I would go insane. 70mph for hour on hour is more dangerous than going faster - I switch off and doze..... Thankfully we have the M50 nearby and some great A roads.

Looking forward to the tea and biscuits and the one old git full of contempt for the course and not learning to just shut it and do the time.

·
Registered
9,865 Posts
Not looking for sympathy or a way out.

It's just there is no joined up thinking or discussion about motorway speed limits. Last time I heard they were talking about increasing the limit to 80mph, as the experts felt it was safe to do so and cars have moved on a bit since the 70mph limit was set, now they are enforcing the 70mph limit stricter than ever before.

Thankfully I don't do many miles on motorways anymore. If I did, I think I would go insane. 70mph for hour on hour is more dangerous than going faster - I switch off and doze..... Thankfully we have the M50 nearby and some great A roads.

Looking forward to the tea and biscuits and the one old git full of contempt for the course and not learning to just shut it and do the time.
I live almost 2 hours away from roads I can legally travel at ~70 mph on. When I get to those roads, believe me, 70 mph seems fast and that's because I'm generally unused to that speed. If the motorway limit is raised to 80 mph you'll just get used to it and then you'll get bored and switch off again.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 28 Posts