Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a knocking front O/S wishbone over bumpy surfaces in my GT JTDm. I can't tell if it's top or bottom yet, but I'm hoping to diagnose when I get chance in the next day or two. I know it's not the droplink as I have already replaced it.

On top of that the car has developed a groan at the front end. It's a constant noise that gets louder and changes pitch the faster the wheel speed. It makes no difference whether the throttle is on or off, whether the clutch is engaged or if you're coasting, or whatever position the steering wheel is, the noise remains the same for the wheel speed you're doing. It's silent when stopped. As such my first thoughts are maybe a wheel bearing, but the noise seems to be coming more from the inner CV joint area when you're sat in the car driving it.

Has anyone experienced this kind of groan/bearing noise and rectified it? If it is a CV I'd rather know before tacking the wishbone so I can do the whole lot at once. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
450 Posts
A CV joint usually doesn't make noise unless the rubber bellow is ruptured. Grease would spray out.

A broken wheel bearing makes more noise when it's under load. Do some sharp left/right turns. If you jack up the car and grab the spring while you spin the wheel, a broken bearing will induce some vibrations.

I've already replaced all four wheel bearings after 170.000kms

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesn't seem to be a CV joint noise to me. If it was I'd expect it to change as I went around corners or was on and off the throttle. I'll jack the car up in the next couple of days to diagnose which wishbone if I can, look at the CV boots and try your method for wheel bearing noise. Thanks.

If anyone else has had this issue feel free to post. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
That only works for outer CV's. Inner CV's rarely fail on most marques, but reading this forum Alfa seem to have managed to make theirs an exception. A failing inner will rumble or growl pretty much constantly and will usually produce detectable vibration at some road speeds. Gearbox output bearing failing is another possibility. Jack the car and it should be pretty obvious where there is movement that shouldn't be there.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The knocking from the front is a ARB which will be replaced in time.

It turns out that my speed related drove is actually from the rear. I would have bet my mother on it being from the front but I couldn't find any cause until a trip with the seats down has pin-pointed it to the rear offside. Having had it in the air today it's the wheel bearing. I see there are a few different types depending on age. Mine's a 55 plate. Are these DIY-able without a press? I'm pretty handy with the spanners, but don't have full workshop facilities in my garage (yet).

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers, I've got a 3-leg puller if needed to drag the inner race off. I'll be giving it go once I can be sure I'm oprdering the right bearing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts