Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

hope you can help.

Im in need of 2 front tyres for my 53 plater Alfa 147 1.9JTD.

The size of my tyres as printed on the present tyres is 205/55 R16 94W.

I normally buy my tyres online (fitted) as ive always found it cheaper than going to garages. When searching for tyres under 205/55 R16, theres plenty of choice at decent prices. However if i add the 94W speed rating/load index my wide choice of tyres shrinks to 2 tyres!

When inputting my reg into a website they assume its 91W. How important is the 94W part? Is the correct speed/load for my car or just what the last owner decided to put on? would i be ok with the 91W or even V?

Thanks

Ben

·
Registered
30,079 Posts
The car is spec'd with "91V", so that is what you need.

91W would obviously be fine too and sometimes there is no difference in price.
So with the choice of a V or W you should have a wide range to look at.

·
Registered
30,079 Posts
Out of my head!
But double checked in the 147 manual before posting.

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
the thing about increasing the weight rating (the 91/94 bit) is that the higher the number the stiffer the sidewall, which can harm the suppleness of the ride, not a strong point on some models. My old 147 had 94 tyres, the new one, the correct 91 rated tyres, and it rides the bumps much better. The difference in tyres seems to be the only difference.

·
Registered
198 Posts
To be honest for use in the uk this speed rating lark is a joke V is rated up to 130 MPH unless i'm very much mistaken n lets face it when are you likely to go faster??????????????????

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
If you use anything other than the tyre specced by the manufacturer then you could be in trouble come accident time, even more so if you use a lower speed rating/load index tyre.

·
Registered
37,755 Posts
V rated is up to 149MPH

As for speed ratings, the construction and use regulations state that the tyres must be fit for the use in which the car is put, not for what it is capable of being put.

It is still a good idea to fit the correct rated tyres though, with the load rating possibly being the most important as it will affect the car at all speeds, not just at the top.

·
Registered
30,079 Posts
Unless you intend to break the law n go 125mph on uk roads why can't you have a H rated tyre, am I missing the point here??????????
Yes you are missing the point!
But the smallest 15" (185/65R15) is spec'd as an H on the 1.6TS & 8v JTD.
You are also allowed to use lower speed rated winter tyres ("Q" for the 185/65R15, "T" for the 205/55R16 and "H" for the 215/45R17) but under EU law you need to place a notice on the dash warning the driver of the lower limits of the tyres.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts