Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Thinking of investing in a dector - plenty on ebay (nice and cheap) but can they be relied on? I'm not really a boy racer but do like to stretch her legs once in a while - what do you think?

ps - fairly new and loving the site!!

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Detectors - NO. GPS locators with in-built laser detaection - yes.

We own two Road Angel +'s :cool:

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm with SR on this. GPS locators like the Road Angel are accurate and useful for all speed traps except the hand held laser guns. By the time they pick the signal up you've been caught.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Detectors - NO. GPS locators with in-built laser detaection - yes.

This is very true, dont get just a laser detector as they only pick up a signal when the laser is being used, ie against you or another car near you, so it is very hit and miss and will only tell you that you have been caught.

The Road angel plus is very good, but the snooper saphire is brill as well, you can get them for about £150

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Agreed that the laser detector is a bit after the event which is why Road Angel recently revamped their firmwear to include "safey camera vans".

My NAVMAN uses the same system as that in TomTom and the likes but the RA beats iy for eveyday use by a million miles :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thing is guys all speed detection equipment used by the police now picks up on you number plate so the unit on the dash won't pick it up.

Also if you regularly download you unit being roadangel or otherwise the supplier disables that part in your unit within the download as to make it just for static camera detection due to the laws chaning the other year.

Don't know if any of you saw on tv the other night, the documentary on police speed checking etc.
That if you get caught on a mobile camera i.e top of a bridge, always ask to see the picture before you admit as if they shine the X on your bonnet it adds 10mph as to shining it on your number plate and if it does show on your bonnet the courts will throw it straight out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i have the road angel , with the optional radar detector. it just sticks to the windscreen and alerts you of any mobile units you are approaching that are pointing your way..and it DOES work. where travel to work they are alwys rolling out the van and it has let me know in plenty of time. the updtes have not as yet disabled this function on mine , been using this one for about 6 months now and its great.

H

·
0 Posts
i have a camera detector and its a bit hit and miss, it spends the majority of its life in the glove box as it gets set off by all different things ie automatis shop doors etc, I also have a packard bell sat nav unit which has the speed cameras overlayed as favourites and this works really well, but is not up to date, I'm changing jobs soon and will be on the road a lot more, so I'll be buying the road angel sat nav unit with cameras and updates seems the best available and (similar to the packard bell) uses known camera sites as poi's or favourites, according to various sites speed camera detectors will be made illegal soon, but sat nav units wont........the speed camera detectors must be costing the government money or they wouldnt bother, or is that me being cynical.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well i do know quite a police from the traffic division (lincolnshire) and the tell me they do it for fun, they point it at your number plate check your speed and then flash it across the windscreen just to triger off the detectors and chukle as the car dips underbraking.

Also most police used a digital signal for speed detection (don't get me wrong some still use lasers)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I did have the all singing all dancing roadangel sat nav unit till it took an unfortunate bounce getting out the car now i have the tomtom one with fixed speed camera notification and it does work well, not as good tho.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Neither me or the wife could be without ours. The £7 a month we pay for the updates are well worth it.

The only thing that pee's me off is that they won't sell me the Euro database as the inbuilt laser detector makes it illegal on mainland europe, even though it can be easily disabled. Surely, the risk is my choice:confused:

·
Registered
6,351 Posts
Laser/radar detectors are still ok in UK, the change in law was muted last year as a possibility. Mine is placed just above number plate as it is separate to the interior unit (S6R Snooper). Also my Garmin GPS shows poi cameras and likely sites. There are 10 speed cameras within a one mile radius of my home.

see:-

http://www.snooperdirect.com/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts