Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Speed limit down to 110km/h tomorrow

It's done.

The ******s will reduced the autoroute speed limit in Alpes-Maritimes (06)
to 110km/h as of tomorrow.

Blast back tonight may be the last time I travel the A8 legally at ~130km/h

:(:(:(

The reasons are:

1) Safety: specifically a reduction in braking distance. (With the way people drive here: irrelevant)
2) Pollution: Specifically Ozone build-up. (We already have variable limits for this.)
3) Circulation: It stops traffic build up. (Borrocks!)
4) Harmonise the speed limit by reducing the 130 stretches to 110 to stop any confusion. (**** off!)

In French here:
A 8 : la vitesse bientôt limitée à 110 km/h dans le département - Nice - vitesse - l'information en direct avec Nice-Matin - nicematin.com

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Never did like the french.
And you made the mistake of living there.
You only have yourself to blame. :)

·
Registered
37,151 Posts
I can never understand how slowing traffic down reduces traffic congestion.

All things being equal, If everyone drives at half the speed they will be on the road for twice as long, so doubling the amount of cars on the road.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I can never understand how slowing traffic down reduces traffic congestion.

All things being equal, If everyone drives at half the speed they will be on the road for twice as long, so doubling the amount of cars on the road.
You never will understand it because it doesn't reduce congestion. Apart from being on the road for longer you only have to look at the effect it has when motorway speeds are reduced. Each car is going slightly slower than the one in front (to varying degrees), so while the one at the front is doing 50 the one a couple of miles back will probably be doing nearer thirty, hence traffic builds up - or in otherwords, you have congestion.

·
Registered
37,151 Posts
You never will understand it because it doesn't reduce congestion. Apart from being on the road for longer you only have to look at the effect it has when motorway speeds are reduced. Each car is going slightly slower than the one in front (to varying degrees), so while the one at the front is doing 50 the one a couple of miles back will probably be doing nearer thirty, hence traffic builds up - or in otherwords, you have congestion.
All round a great idea then.. :lol:

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The biggest cause of congestion on major dual carriageways and motorways? People too close each other. First car rubs his brakes, the 2nd car immediately jumps on the brake pedal pretty hard, the car behind him goes into full emergency stop mode. Pretty soon everyone is crawling along at 20mph

If people sat back and actually read the road and watched to see what was happening (and used all the availible bleedin' lanes) then we'd all get where we're going a lot easier and quicker.

·
Registered
764 Posts
The biggest cause of congestion on major dual carriageways and motorways? People too close each other. First car rubs his brakes, the 2nd car immediately jumps on the brake pedal pretty hard, the car behind him goes into full emergency stop mode. Pretty soon everyone is crawling along at 20mph

If people sat back and actually read the road and watched to see what was happening (and used all the availible bleedin' lanes) then we'd all get where we're going a lot easier and quicker.
Very true, good post.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Was in a 2km/15 tailback yesterday.

Reason?

verge fire on THE OTHER SIDE OF THE AUTOROUTE!!!! :mad:

The other cause of congestion is middle lane hoggers.

As previously posted I think they are starting to police this
although the number of Swiss and Belgians in the middle
lane yesterday was very annoying. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
37,151 Posts

The only problem I can see with the driving too close argument is that when you do leave a space big enough, someone moves into it. :rolleyes:

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The only problem I can see with the driving too close argument is that when you do leave a space big enough, someone moves into it. :rolleyes:
Indeed. on my outward leg I took normal roads on sunday
and ended up in the midst of a big circus/traveller migration.

Fair plays to them they all kept a good constant speed and
maintained gaps to let people leapfrog them.

The problem was that some of the arses in cars just bunched
up behind and you ended up having to overtake 4 cars + van
& caravan each time. :rolleyes:

(Were fun bits though!)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts