Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, been away for 3-4 days. Tanked the Spider before departure and refilled after a record breaking 435 miles on the trip :eek:

For the outbound trip I adopted the "Drive like a hoo-ha!" approach, 60-65 on motorways steady through the gears etc etc.

The result - an all time epic fuel consumption return of 36mpg! :thumbs:

Set off yesterday for the return trip, after a bit of faffing about and intended to stick to "about 2.5K-2.75K rpm" until the day dragged on a bit (255 mile trip) so resolved "not to go over 3K" and of course as the motorway got worse and worse and Manchester was still miles away "to stay under 4K".

By Wrexham and the snot nosed TP in Fester STD it was "die scum" and "let's get home and have this done with". So much for my cool calm and collection. :rolleyes:

Just been to tank the car again as curiosity had the better of me. The result;

37.8 mpg :wow:

So, don't drive like a hoo-ha, get yer diving boots on and let's roll! :thumbs: :D

·
Registered
17,798 Posts
OK, been away for 3-4 days. Tanked the Spider before departure and refilled after a record breaking 435 miles on the trip :eek:

For the outbound trip I adopted the "Drive like a hoo-ha!" approach, 60-65 on motorways steady through the gears etc etc.

The result - an all time epic fuel consumption return of 36mpg! :thumbs:

Set off yesterday for the return trip, after a bit of faffing about and intended to stick to "about 2.5K-2.75K rpm" until the day dragged on a bit (255 mile trip) so resolved "not to go over 3K" and of course as the motorway got worse and worse and Manchester was still miles away "to stay under 4K".

By Wrexham and the snot nosed TP in Fester STD it was "die scum" and "let's get home and have this done with". So much for my cool calm and collection. :rolleyes:

Just been to tank the car again as curiosity had the better of me. The result;

37.8 mpg :wow:

So, don't drive like a hoo-ha, get yer diving boots on and let's roll! :thumbs: :D
You didn't need a massive trip.... I could have told you this!!!

My 916 spider prefers high revs, don't know why. Slow is fine, so long as it's revving out :lol:

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
interesting. Driving the GTA like a total piece means epicly low mpg :lol:. I'm yet to try the other way ;) :lol:

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Are you sure you filled the tanks to the same level each time? Different petrol pumps shut off at different times etc. If you got more fuel into the first tank you would think you had a lower mpg for that tank and then a higher one for the next one.

I see that on my 145 occassionally and I drive it the same all the time..

On the other hand, the danger with using low revs is that you might labour the engine (that is, use a large throttle opening at low rpm) which is a fuel-sink.. If you accelerate using a light throttle to about 3000 or 3500rpm and then never exceed that rpm during the cruise, then that is the best mpg your car will do.

An engine is most efficient around it's peak torque figure (which on the T/S is a little higher than 3-3500 rpm I think... ) but in real life, the car is less fuel efficient at higher speed because air resistance etc. is exponential.

By the sound of it, if you'd stopped at Manchester you would have seen an even better mpg figure. You wouldn't have got better mpg at a steady 80 than at a steady 60..

Ralf S.

G

·
0 Posts
interesting. Driving the GTA like a total piece means epicly low mpg :lol:. I'm yet to try the other way ;) :lol:
15-20 when the GTA is driven as it should be. But when cruising gently in 6th 25-30 is feasible, some folks have reported low 30s.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
929 Posts
Hi

Over time found it varies a lot between different cars.

Old 1.3 series 3 carbed 33 would manage 39mpg on a long run cruising at about 90. Short journies around town would see it doing 20mpg (the joy of accelerator pump carbs).

The 155s we have had both did 30mpg pretty consistantly. Seemed to make stuff all difference if it was driven carefully or thrashed. Even towing a bike trailer made little difference.

The 75 TS did about 30 normally but could be persuaded to very high 30s when driven carefully or towing a bike trailer.

The 33 P4 did about 28mpg. But never managed anything much different but that is possibly more to do with it really encouraging enthusiastic driving.

The 156 does 31mpg normally. Never really got it lower than that but gentle driving has given 37mpg. To get that just means cruising at about 70 and using gentle application of the throttle and keeping it under about 3200rpm.

Jaguar X type manages about 28 normally on the trip computer. Can be persuaded to give about 35mpg on a long gentle run but short runs around town really hammer it. Think it runs pretty rich when cold and it weighs a ton (well, nearer 2 of them). Also towing the bike trailer makes it drink loads of fuel (ie despite gentle driving at about 60mph max it still uses more than the car averages without a trailer and faster driving).

All the best

Keith

·
Registered
566 Posts
Since my last fuel up I've been driving like a saint - using 5th gear at 40mph and 4th gear at 30mph etc. And my fuel economy has got worse as a result!!

:thumbs:

·
Registered
247 Posts
15-20 when the GTA is driven as it should be. But when cruising gently in 6th 25-30 is feasible, some folks have reported low 30s.

Cheers,

Nigel
Do you really still get in the 30's Nigel? I struggle to get more than about 24 on a run, even when I'm not driving it like I stole it!

S

·
0 Posts
My 3.2 GTA does about 26mpg in general use. Can go as high as 32mpg on a slow motorway run, seems to like cruising at 60mph.

However, also does under 20mpg when thrashed.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Yes max torque is 3500rpm on 2.0ts but the power starts to come in at 2900rpm so you can get good results at that rpm I think.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Joss mate, that's the only way to drive a GTA :lol: Im sure in the back of the owners manua somewherel it says something like 'drive it like you stole it everywhere you go' :lol: good luck trying the other way though :thumbs:

In fairness though i have recently managed to get my average mpg up from 18.1 to 20.2. I went up to silverstone last weekend but stopped off at my cousins in Milton Keynes. I drove sensibly the whole way up there as i had a friends 8 year old in the car and the 'Actual consumption' on the car's computer was showing 46 mpg...:wow:

i'd like to think that was what the car was doing but i get the feeling it was being a bit enthusiastic :lol: seeing as i don't think i've ever had much more than 200 miles to a full tank :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts