Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for alloys for my 146 and a fellow alfa owner here in dublin hasd told me that for 146's you have to buy a specialized locking nut for the wheels which sets you back around 240euro. Has anybody else heard about this??? Maybe it is just the specific wheel that he put on it which was a 17" fox racing alloy, which is too big anyway in my opinion.!! Any comments???

·
Registered
330 Posts
If thats the case (250 euro)... Id buy a locking nut removal tool for £10 from Motor World and take them off... Failing that, bray (hammer) an old socket onto the locking nut and get them off that way... (iv had x4 locking nuts off in 10 minutes doing it this way)..

Then get your self on eBay and buy a brand new set of locking nuts.. should cost no more than £10 for a full set...

Look:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4x-Locking-Wh...5164871QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

or try eBay for the locking nut removal tool if you dont have a Motor World or a Halfords over there...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LOCKING-WHEEL...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

·
Registered
237 Posts
phone your local mobile tyre man and hell have a set on the van to sort you out ;)

·
Registered
330 Posts
...or do that

may cost you more though... suppose its worth ringing up and asking for a quote.. (not sure if you have ATS mobile tyre fitters over there... thats who my dad uses when he needs new tyres)...

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
The bolts which hold your wheels on aren't special, just specific to Alfa/Lancia/Fiat, there just a different pitch of thread and the depth of the new wheels holes will determine the bolt length you need, it sounds to me like your friend went for wobble bolts and the PCD of the new wheels wasn't quite that of the originals, those are quite expensive, but if you look round and order the wheels peoperly then the original bolts will do fine.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Look for better deals....
I got my locking bolts (and new chrome bolts) thrown in with the wheels when I bought them here in Limerick.
€240 is just nuts - you can get a good set of McGard bolts for ~€30 in Halfords.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts