Alfa Romeo Forum banner

101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Hi, I've been a victim so many times of our judicial system because of "my need for speed". Motorbikes offer an experience that can only be bettered by private plane ownership. I just feel that the UK government allows us all with the equipment to break the law and then takes great delight in convicting us when we do. How many of us have a car that can do 70+ on the drive? Fucking hell everyone! The politically correct health and safety brigade need to smell the **** they are shovelling

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
I do believe what Alfaitalia posted, load rating is important but on the public road in the UK why would anyone buy a tyre rated above the N rating which is good for 87mph? When you buy a tyre rated for any higher speeds surely that is tantamount to going equipped to commit an offence, almost like possessing an unlicensed gun or buying a big bladed knife. So the obvious question for me is how do cars that can exceed the speed limit many times over get type approval in so many countries for use on the public highway? I am a convicted speeder, and not in 30 mph zones, so why does our nanny state let people sell cars that can do 200mph on the public highway? I believe it is almost a form of entrapment that could be contested in the american law model but not sure how it works in the UK?
Whilst you make a good point, not withstanding alfaitalias post. However there are several answers, I believe, to your questions. First, a car that can do 200mph; in some countries you can do that sort of speed and you may want to visit those countries or do track days. However in most cases those cars just allow bragging rights with mates. In this country though with volume of traffic there is, what is the point, there isnt a stretch of M way without a hold up anywhere. Second, tyre rating. I suspect, if a car is capable of a certain speed, then the manufacture will specify a tyre to safely allow the driver to exploit that speed, plus a margin of safety irrespective of the national speed limit. Although I respect what our friend posted earlier, if you were to use a tyre with a speed rating under the specified original speed rating and still be legal, then you would be wise to inform your insurer. And its not difficult to buy tyres that equal or exceed the specified rating is it. After all, if you have to inform your insurer that you have fitted a Remus or Ragazoni silencer for example, then you need to tell them everything that has changed about the car from original spec.

·
Registered
180 Posts
With my previous Giulietta I found some Dunlop WinterSports that were H speed rated (130 mph) rather than V (149 mph) like the summer tyres (G max speed was ~135 mph)
I called the insurance company (one of the larger ones) and at first they didn't seem to understand why I was calling, eventually I was transfered to someone more knowledgable who told me that so long as they were the same size (circumference) for speed accuracy they did not care about the other tyre specifications - not their exact words, but they only advised me to buy appropriate tyres for the vehicle and said I only needed to notify them of significant upgrades or changes.They were clear that H rated rather than V rated did not fall into that category.

Obviously check with your own insurer...

Blackcircles say:

They don't recommend it, but say the exception is if you fit winter tyres as speeds in winter/poor conditions are generally lower - but what if you happen to leave the winter tyres on all year round ?
There doesn't seem to be any laws against this (in fact Admiral state that it is legal to do so: Winter tyres explained - Admiral.com) so it looks like not lowering the speed rating is industry guidance rather than a hard and fast rule.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Yawn. :)

Sorry could not resist.

·
Premium Member
5,367 Posts
Interesting thread...… Why would you want components on your car that are the only contact between you and the earth to only just meet the requirements of the vehicle? The next bit is how different will the construction/manufacture of a W rated tyre be to a V rated tyre? The difference in cost will be negligible. Remember too that it is the maximum speed that can be safely maintained that the tyre is capable of. So driving a V rated tyre at 186mph isn't recommended but it's unlikely to fall apart instantly at 150mph.

I remember a few years back that Ferrari asked Pirelli to mark their tyres with an additional letter or symbol to denote that they were 'more perfectly formed' so to speak - more round with fewer high points, better weight distribution so fewer balance weights were required. They were more expensive too but didn't change the size, load rating or speed rating.....

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Interesting thread...… Why would you want components on your car that are the only contact between you and the earth to only just meet the requirements of the vehicle? The next bit is how different will the construction/manufacture of a W rated tyre be to a V rated tyre? The difference in cost will be negligible. Remember too that it is the maximum speed that can be safely maintained that the tyre is capable of. So driving a V rated tyre at 186mph isn't recommended but it's unlikely to fall apart instantly at 150mph.

I remember a few years back that Ferrari asked Pirelli to mark their tyres with an additional letter or symbol to denote that they were 'more perfectly formed' so to speak - more round with fewer high points, better weight distribution so fewer balance weights were required. They were more expensive too but didn't change the size, load rating or speed rating.....
I was trying to explore peoples thoughts on fitting tyres that have higher speed ratings/capabilities than legal speeds allow in this country, sorry I got onto motorbikes! (really miss not having one). I couldn't give a monkey about construction, etc. The law only asks for fit for purpose, (to break the law??? That's why I mentioned entrapment)

Don't get me wrong I've just fitted 4 tyres that cost me 2 weeks wages to my Giulia but why I wonder? At the end of the day 50cc motorbikes can break the speed limit in most countries! As you say many people have successfully exceeded the rated speeds of their fitted tyres with no consequences. A lot of people own high performance cars that probably never leave these shores, they fly abroad for a holiday and hire a twingo when they get there, so why fit a speed limit breaking capable tyre in the UK? However I must admit that the urge to overtake the rozzers in the Isle of Man comes up most days in my life and if I crash and die whilst doing it with inferior tyres will probably invalidate my next of kin's claim and you never know when you might book that ferry, luckily hobby bobby Nigel Mansell has retired!

·
Registered
33,243 Posts
“I've just fitted 4 tyres that cost me 2 weeks wages to my Giulia “.
Did you check the running costs before you bought the car?
The original list price had better not be over £40k making it liable for luxury car tax!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Hi Cue 2, I didn't and haven't published my real salary to the masses online but the tyres did cost a signifcant amount of money, just over £600 for a set of four tyres.

However I must admit as much as I love the Giulia, I was taken aback to have a car with just 9000 miles on the clock that needed 4 new tyres all at once! As I said on another thread, tracking was out by 6 minutes and the rear tyres were definatley over inflated. The staggered fitment option didn't help with the costs but after that the fuel consumption etc is on a par with most other cars I've owned if not better on the longer journeys. Hopefully now it's back to factory standard I will enjoy the normal standard expenses of running a luxury car.

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
Bridgestones fitted and what a difference! Gone is that feeling of driving on wooden wheels, gone is the tram lining. All for £512 for 4 fitted!

Just a mention how good Blackcirles have been, the tyres were meant to be with ATS for fitting yesterday but 2 did not turn up, Natalie at BC was great phoning around chasing the courier to find the other 2 had gone to the wrong place. So although no fault of BC, they got all the tyres to ATS today, and to apologise for something that was not their fault have given me £20 back and a 10% voucher for my next purchase which will come in handy when I need tyres for the wifes 939 spider later this year.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
I also noticed the tramlining on the Pirellis. Why does that happen with an oem recommended tyre?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Ask the same question to the QV owners about the Pirelli P Zero Corsa tyres which come fitted from factory.. You will know why there are so many used QV parts on ebay. The corsa tyres are like skates on ice in cold conditions but Alfa still keep fitting them!

It's more like Manufacturer chosen rather than recommended for best performance.

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
Just washing the car I was surprised how few balance weights have been used with the Bridgestones compared to those previously with the P7's.

101 - 113 of 113 Posts