Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Giulia to have what I thought was a slow puncture looked at and when they took the tyre off the front the inside edges are quite badly worn, both tyres need replacing and the back tyres are low in tread in the middle like they have been over inflated? Is this normal or should I be worried. OF course they want to supply me with new tyres and I accept that I need them, but should I let them adjust the tracking or is this just how the tyres wear? My old 147 and current Giulietta also wear the fronts on the inside edge and were both tracked by AR dealers who found nothing wrong. I'd appreciate any advice as I don't want to fit new tyres and end up with poorer handling/feel from the steering. I'm looking at about £120 per corner keeping it on P7 runflats, are there better, cheaper tyres?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to add to todays lesson, the fronts are a different size to the rears. I thought that was just a QV foible? Did the Giulias come out of the factory with 225/45 /18 fronts and 255/40/18 rears? It's getting into £700+ to change them now?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can anyone confirm there are Alfa Romeo fitments of these tyres that are different to the same tyre that is supplied by BMW? The tyre shop came up with a fact that they are different tyres, so expecting some justification of a higher bill, really? Do I just go back to normal tyres and mousse? Run flats do not seem to be stocked by anyone that I've tried so far

·
Administrator
86,646 Posts
Have you checked the usual online suppliers:

Camskill

Eiretyres

Oponeo

Pneus Online

And no it wasn't just the QF with different size tyres, although at one stage some models came with all the same size & different sizes were an option.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi everyone that has replied. Lots of money for new tyres but do I need the tracking checked/adjusted or is it normal wear?

hi

·
Administrator
86,646 Posts
Did you regularly check your tyre pressures to see if they were correct, especially the rears ?
Also you didn't say what mileage you've got out of the tyres.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Some people have reported the front inner edges worn more than usual but this is not a common thing like the 159 which needed the toe to changed to zero to minimize inner edge wear. The toe on the Giulia is already set to zero from factory I think. Front camber and caster are not adjustable.

Rear middle worn sounds like over inflation rather than wheel alignment. Have you been setting pressures as per the book?

Try Blackcircles.com and etyres.co.uk for fully fitted price as a comparison. About £600 for all 4 branded tyres sounds reasonable.

If the rears have legal tread just leave it for a lit longer. The front too if not too bad. Legal tread limit is across 75% of the middle.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've only had the car for 4 months and was shocked to see how much tyre wear was apparent at the tyre shop. I have to admit I haven't been religious about the pressures as I was still enjoying my new to me car. Bugger!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The rears are the killers 255x40x18 listing around £200 each! Fronts 222x45x18 come in around £130 each.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Had to replace the (wider) rears on my Speciale a couple of months ago - stayed with the Pirelli P7's (runflats) as had been on the car when I got it new. Eventually went via mytyres, and cost £322 for the pair, including delivery to and fitting by a local fitting centre. They were sent from Germany so took ~5 days to be delivered.
If you're looking for these, make sure you go for the 'AR' version- these seem to be 20-30 pounds cheaper than the non-AR versions - no idea why, nor what the difference is.

·
Registered
33,250 Posts
I suppose that’s one benefit of the 235/55/19s on the Stelvio; OE tyres fitted for under £100 at NTS. Plus none of the wheel rim scuffing worries I had with low profile tyres. But I won’t introduce this to the SUV dislike threads!

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
How come nobody has mentioned the mileage you have gotten from these Pirelli's ?
2 sets of Goodyear F1's fitted here at 22k rear and 24k front, and then 41 k all round. At both changes the fronts had worn on the inside to nearly the canvas, with plenty of thread left on the rest of the tyre. The rears had even wear across the tyre. At this stage I had the front toe set to 0, which is not the factory setting. Made absolutely no difference to the steering feel. Now on 66k and the fronts have much more even wear across the tyre, so the toe change is recommended. Rears will need changing in about 2k. No change from €1000 for all 4 tyres, an Alfa Romeo approved tyre with the AR mark on the sidewall. 255x40x18 rears, 225x45x18 fronts. Good tyre.

·
Administrator
86,646 Posts
How come nobody has mentioned the mileage you have gotten from these Pirelli's ?
See post #7 for the question ;)

You'll have to wait for an answer.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I had the front toe set to 0, which is not the factory setting. Made absolutely no difference to the steering feel.
According to the tech manual Front Toe for both 2.0L and 2.9L 0.00° ± 0.07°

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
Ah ok. When it was adjusted the guy said it was within tolerance, at -1 I think. I told him to bring it in to 0, he was reluctant to take it out of factory tolerance, which he was declaring as what his screen was telling him, ie. -1. If it makes a difference, it wasn't an Alfa dealer, rather a trusted and well regarded tyre centre with a proper 4 wheel laser alignment set up. There isn't a car dealer of any description in Ireland with a professional alignment system. Is it the same for diesels with staggered tyres MG ?

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
The wear described is similar on mine. I was puzzled by the look of my rear tyres, they do look like they have been over inflated, but I can assure you I am evangelical about tyre pressures. Needing new tyres myself anytime soon I'm planning on ditching the run flats but staying with Pirrelli and going for P Zeros' £466 from Camskill plus I expect to pay £40 for fitting and balancing.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Is it the same for diesels with staggered tyres MG ?
Yep. As posted by MacGeek ages ago.

Front Wheel Geometry

Half toe

• All Versions: 0' (±4')
Camber (not adjustable)
  • 2.0/2.2 RWD/AWD: -30' (±20')
  • Quadrifoglio: -35' (±20')
Caster (not adjustable)
  • 2.0/2.2 RWD: +6°8' (±18')
  • 2.0/2.2 AWD: +5°37' (±18')
  • Quadrifoglio: +6°18' (±18')

Rear Wheel Geometry

Half toe

• 2.0/2.2 RWD/AWD: +13' (±8')
  • Quadrifoglio: +13' (±4')
Camber (lower wishbone to crossmember bolt needs to be replaced)
  • All Versions: -1°30' (±20')

All values are with the vehicle in "Standard A" - unladen except accessories/tools and with a full tank.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts