Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I would like to hear your experience and views on a choice I have to make.

I have a Speciale that I am very happy with. However, the PCP is about to end and I could upgrade to a Veloce (with the exact same options). But I am not sure I should.

Here are my pros and cons:

Pros: more power, 5 years warranty, good deal, diesels are not the future
Cons: I drive 15 to 20,000 miles a year, do about 47mpg, I could simply remap the engine, road tax is high on a Veloce and Mpg mid 30 (?) adding more cost

What do you think?

·
Registered
Giulia Quadrifoglio
527 Posts
Hard to say without looking at the numbers especially with those kinds of miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
643 Posts
Another pro: doesn’t sound like a taxi!

This is the first non-diesel I’ve driven in about 20years and I’m loving it!

Not so sure I’d be loving it so much without a company fuel card though... so depends who’s paying for your fuel, I suppose.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Hi Guys

I have a Speciale that I am very happy with. However, the PCP is about to end and I could upgrade to a Veloce (with the exact same options). But I am not sure I should.

Cons: I drive 15 to 20,000 miles a year, do about 47mpg, I could simply remap the engine, road tax is high on a Veloce and Mpg mid 30 (?) adding more cost

What do you think?
You've answered all of your own considerations so why give a stuff about what anyone else thinks? You know the issues and you can do the arithmetic yourself.
As it happens, I'm shortly to take delivery of a Veloce to replace Super 2.0TB but I only do 10k mls/pa so fuel consumpt. isn't an issue for me and although most people baulk at higher VED, it's still less than a tenner a week (for £40k+ car) so what's the big deal? If only they would fix the ******* roads!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some figures then:
Commuting is 80 miles per day.... so that is from my pocket. The rest isn't.
£7,000 deposit is all I need for a monthly repayment same as current PCP.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You've answered all of your own considerations so why give a stuff about what anyone else thinks? You know the issues and you can do the arithmetic yourself.
As it happens, I'm shortly to take delivery of a Veloce to replace Super 2.0TB but I only do 10k mls/pa so fuel consumpt. isn't an issue for me and although most people baulk at higher VED, it's still less than a tenner a week (for £40k+ car) so what's the big deal? If only they would fix the ******* roads!

or fix the volume of traffic! It s so rare you can enjoy a nice free bit of road. Why am i not surprised that you're going for the Veloce...

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi Guys

What do you think?
Do you know (yet) if your car is worth more, or less than than your final payment?

·
Registered
710 Posts
I've just changed from a Speciale to a Veloce and had the same considerations .

In the end the pros outweighed the cons for me but I dont do a massive mileage .

main Pro for me was the car sounds a lot nicer , feels lighter , more sprightly , more like a sports car.
Road tax for me was only £120 a year more - not going to break the bank.

Big con for the Speciale - unknown future of diesel residuals

·
Registered
1750 GTV, 2000 GTV, Stelvio Milano 280
5,236 Posts
I would expect the Speciale to work out more expensive on pcp these days as residuals on Diesels must be taking a huge hit. Unless of course AR are desperate to sell the rest of their stock of them and have increased the contribution.
The difference could balance the fuel costs out.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Having had both I can agree it pretty much comes down to economy v acceleration, diesel v petrol, tractor sound v actually no sound at all (until you fit a Wizard exhaust) :)

Sound is part of the pleasure of driving a sporty car. Tell me more about your exhaust then....

·
Registered
316 Posts
Interesting thread but your situation is quite specific - employed, PCP, etc. I am retired, pay cash for my cars, need to watch the purse strings since there is bu**er all return on investments, etc, etc.

Now, if you take all the above out of the equation and just compare the two cars I would take the Veloce and if I could afford it I'd have a QF. My point is that it's not about which car to buy but rather about which situation you'd rather be in viz....petrol or diesel, MPG, MPH, VED, Insurance etc.........:ponder:

·
Registered
511 Posts
...... if you take all the above out of the equation and just compare the two cars I would take the Veloce and if I could afford it I'd have a QF....:
Not to imply any criticism whatsoever of those who do, but purely for myself, I harbour no desire to have a Qf. Rationally, Qf is so far beyond anything required for road use that it's kind of absurd...but even from a pure emotional standpoint, I just don't feel it. Perhaps like yourself @photoman, it's because I'm getting on a bit...

·
Registered
384 Posts
Interesting thread but your situation is quite specific - employed, PCP, etc. I am retired, pay cash for my cars, need to watch the purse strings since there is bu**er all return on investments, etc, etc.

Now, if you take all the above out of the equation and just compare the two cars I would take the Veloce and if I could afford it I'd have a QF. My point is that it's not about which car to buy but rather about which situation you'd rather be in viz....petrol or diesel, MPG, MPH, VED, Insurance etc.........:ponder:
I'm in almost exactly the same situation, except that I would suggest that you should find a better investment advisor...

My ideal would have been a petrol Speciale, but Alfa for reasons known only to them, don't offer such a car, so after test drives in both Super and Veloce Giulias, I went for a Super. In most situations, the Veloce didn't feel very different from the Super, and noticeably less good around town, where I spent quite a lot of time, but I would have liked the better sports seats, though again, Alfa have decided not to provide that option. I definitely didn't want a diesel, and found the petrol Super remarkably lively, an impression that hasn't changed after a year's problem-free ownership, a few thousand miles have improved the car a lot. Generally, my car is a continual delight to own and drive, no problems at all, and it followed a string of Mercedes, which I feared might be a tough act to follow.

I share your views on the QF. Of course, many on here would love to have one, though for me the ground clearance rules it out, I'd grind that spoiler expensively every time I entered my drive, and the Dealer warned me that the lowest repair cost for spoiler damage would be at least £1000. I was offered a test drive but turned that down, I didn't dare risk being tempted. And of course, for most of us it wouldn't pass the practicality test for all kinds of reasons, but I think it's wonderful that Alfa make the car and offer it on the UK market.

·
Registered
Giulia Quadrifoglio
527 Posts
I'm in almost exactly the same situation, except that I would suggest that you should find a better investment advisor...

My ideal would have been a petrol Speciale, but Alfa for reasons known only to them, don't offer such a car, so after test drives in both Super and Veloce Giulias, I went for a Super. In most situations, the Veloce didn't feel very different from the Super, and noticeably less good around town, where I spent quite a lot of time, but I would have liked the better sports seats, though again, Alfa have decided not to provide that option. I definitely didn't want a diesel, and found the petrol Super remarkably lively, an impression that hasn't changed after a year's problem-free ownership, a few thousand miles have improved the car a lot. Generally, my car is a continual delight to own and drive, no problems at all, and it followed a string of Mercedes, which I feared might be a tough act to follow.

I share your views on the QF. Of course, many on here would love to have one, though for me the ground clearance rules it out, I'd grind that spoiler expensively every time I entered my drive, and the Dealer warned me that the lowest repair cost for spoiler damage would be at least £1000. I was offered a test drive but turned that down, I didn't dare risk being tempted. And of course, for most of us it wouldn't pass the practicality test for all kinds of reasons, but I think it's wonderful that Alfa make the car and offer it on the UK market.

The latest cars have 5 seats and split folding rear seats. Just as practical as any other Giulia but with super car performance. What’s not to like?

Reactions: RichardOfYork

·
Registered
1750 GTV, 2000 GTV, Stelvio Milano 280
5,236 Posts

So tell me why the Veloce isn’t a Petrol Speciale, there is practically no difference apart from a few options. The list price is a bit higher, but the discounts brought them back practically level.

I really can’t see why a Veloce would be any different to a super around town, when in N it’s perfectly happy trickling about.

I’m inclined to agree about the QF though, I think I’d probably hurt myself if I had one!.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.