Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in Tesco today doing some shopping. While there, I decided to buy a treat for my wife. She loves Cadburys Mini Eggs.

Tesco have them on offer.
I am a man, therefore I go for the bargain.
Result - she gets lots of eggs and it doesn't cost me as much as it should.

Except... which one is the best buy?

1 tube of Mini Eggs for £1.50 or 2 for £2
1 bag of them for £2 or 2 for £3
1 big bag of little bags for £3.30 or two for £5

Well, what you want to do is work it out by weight - which one gives you the most eggs for the least money.
That's easy to do, because the shelf label will tell you how much each one costs per 100g.
Except they base that on the full price. They don't tell you what it is when you do a multi-buy.

This annoyed me, so I got my phone out and calculated each one.
1 tube is £1.25 per 100g
2 tubes £0.83 per 100g
1 bag £1.03 per 100g
2 bags £0.77 per 100g (this is what I bought)
1 big bag £1.31 per 100g
2 big bags £1.00 per 100g

My rant is this: how is anyone who doesn't have OCD supposed to work out which is the best deal?

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
yup completely agree with you both on this, I am nearly as obsessed as WTFH on this, and it winds me up - especially Oils, choclate, fruit dog food!

·
Registered
963 Posts
And still the supermarket will win. The amount you bought may well be small but you bought the amount they wanted you to, as per the promotion, instead of the amount you wanted.

Britain chucks away so much food it needlessly buys - it is sickening.

(not your mini crème eggs I hasten to add!)

·
Banned
16 Posts
This may just be the ****test thread I've ever seen on the internet :lol:

What kind of weird mong gets this obsessed over a few pence FFS :cheese:

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was going to suggest it crawls back under its bridge - based on the quality of its previous posts.

Ah well, glad to see it can put together an intelligent, well thought out and argued point, and not just go for cheap name-calling.

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,340 Posts
Seem to remember reading about two weeks ago that Tesco had made a mistake on the pricing of these, BOGOFF at 0.5 Pence a pack. :wow:

Apparently they sold very well at this price............

Sadly by the time I got there the mistake had been corrected. :cry:

·
Registered
34,395 Posts
I was delighted to see the plight of Tesco despite their big plan to rip out the souls of every town.

·
Registered
34,395 Posts
how many people get home and check that they were right about the two items being in the same category? Last time I checked I paid full price for each thing because I just happened to think it was about time to look at a receipt for once. Tesco has about the biggest data base in the country which it can use to see if you continue to buy things when they put the price up and then do "deals" on things which are price sensitive.Those deals are often as a result of telling the supplier they will lose business if they do not give Tesco double the stock for the same price.If not their products will be put in a worse position on the shelves......

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
It's something that needs cracking down on IMHO.

Toothpaste seems to be another 'special offer' that isn't so special :tut: £2 for a 150ml tube, great stuff. . Oh, what's this, £1 for a 100ml down the middle of the isle?

Soup, 4 for £3 on Baxters HEALTHY range. Good deal, but the healthy range is only a fraction of the whole Baxters range in front of you, chances are people just pick up 4 Baxters soup as there's only a handful of choices in the healthy range!

I got stung on some cauliflower last week, buy one get one free on a bag of Morrisons own now that's value for money. Paid at the checkout and a quick check of the reciept showed I'd paid in full for both bags? Went to the customer service desk to see what the crack was to find that some 'Rsehole had put the sign over the wrong cauliflower and the items on offer weren't just Morrisons, but Morissons VALUE which were sat a few doors down. :tut: :eek:

You need to read everything carefully these days and like you say WTFH unless you start doing the maths, chances are you'll get ripped. :rant:

·
Registered
34,395 Posts
Morrisons want to be careful with their expansion plans.Papua ? I think California proved an expensive mistake for Tesco.

·
Premium Member
4,543 Posts
Thought I would resurrect this rant.

Went to Tescos this morning to buy a bottle of juice (Made in Scotland from Girders). They were priced a £1.70 each or "Special Offer" 2 for £2.50 so £1.25 each. Good deal you might think. WRONG :rant:

On the next shelf was a multipack of 2 bottles priced £2.28 or £1.14 per bottle. In fact the best "deal" was to buy a four pack for £3.98 or less than £1 per bottle.

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
Love getting the calculator out in the isles and laughing at some of the deals, well, I don't have much else to do.

Getting down to some of the labels to read is a bit of a faff though.:lol:

·
Administrator
45,536 Posts
I don't think ignoring is the best response.

For instance, I want a box of breakfast cereal, don't really mind which one, and I like variety. So picking the one that's on offer gives me a cheaper cereal without putting me out in any way.

But allowing them to influence you to buy more than you want or need is the trap to avoid.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts