Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi

New to this forum can anyone help me with what type of speakers i need for the front and back of my GTV 3.0 V6 Cup Alfa and also what type of speakers are best possible links to websites would be good thanks

H

·
0 Posts
Welcome to AO. :D

It your car a genuine Cup :confused:

It should have a plaque on the dash with a number on it ;)

H

·
0 Posts
And that makes four on the floor ;)
Smick there's three more genuine owners in here welcome aboard.

How comes you need the speakers :confused: non fitted or up grading

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi

i want to upgrade the front components and the rear speakers but do not know which ones to go for in order for them to fit in the exisiting hole

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Hello, welcome to AO :)

H

·
0 Posts
Smick not too sure still got the originals in mine If I find anything I'll drop you a PM ;)

*Pssst* Don't tell the purists you want a stereo they'll say your mad to drown out the lovely V6 :lol:

·
Registered
560 Posts
the fronts are 5*7's are n't they?
the infinity 5*7's require panel mods as they are actually 'multi fitting' so be careful. Alpin do some 5*7's that should drop straight in.

the afficionardos suggest putting in some 6.5" component speakers mounted directly to the door you will need to remove the door panel and cut off one of the existing lugs for the speakers to accomodate and place the new tweeter where the existing one is at the top of the door. 6.5" fit neatly into the rear shelf.
there is a very good how too article on sportsalfa . com

there are a couple of other threads re GTV speakers if you do a search in this forum.

good luck, keep us posted with what you do.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The easiest thing is to get a adapter for the front and put a round speaker in (size escapes me now). I found some of the 5x7's to deep for the door.

The back are easy to fit, i just plugged one of the rear speaker cables into it though as wehn there were two in i got alot of rasping on all my speakers, dunno why though.

I changes my tweeters by removing the origianls from their mount (they are quite stiff and don't turn easily) and then cut up the ones i got with my components out of their housing and super glueing them to the mounts. This way it still looks standard from the outside.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Johnboy i beg to differ. i have 4*6 speakers fitted at the moment [they where spare sitting around in the garage] and i had to make up some adapters as they are way too small for the existing mountings. admittedly some 5*7's are oversized so may not appear to be a direct fit and some 4*6 have aditional holes for a 5*7 fitting. i believe the infinty 5*7's also fit a 6*8 opening for example.

taken from lukes instal guide in the link

Replacing standard size speakers

The GTV has essentially six speakers. Two 0.75” tweeters and two 5”x7” oval speakers in the front doors and two 6.5” round rear speakers. All of these can be directly replaced, although you will need to remove the door panels to change the tweeters in the doors.

Removal and refitting of the main speakers is quite simple. Regardless if you are working on the rear or front speakers, the process is essentially the same. You need to remove the grille first. Do this by inserting a large flat-head screwdriver between the grille and the interior panel at the side, then push the grille out, move around the grille doing the same at the bottom and the other side, the grille should just pop out at this stage, without having to use a screwdriver for the top grille-clip.

Once the grilles are off you’ll see four screws (front speakers) or four nuts (rear speakers). Undo these, disconnect the cables (taking note of which colour is connected to the positive and negative terminals) and directly replace them with your new speakers using the same screws/nuts. Once the new speakers are in place, refit the grilles and you’re done.

http://www.sportsalfa.com/ice_luke.htm

;)

i assume the Cup is the same.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I put round 5.25" speakers in my fronts, with the autoleads GTV adapters - perfect fit. I'd tried 5x7's before but they were far too deep to go in the standard mounts. The original 5x7's are much shallower than most aftermarket 5x7's, due to the small magnet and somewhat flimsy construction.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts