Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This post is down to sheer laziness. I'm in work and bored. Does anyone know what size the rear speakers are? I'm thinking of upgrading to some Sony Xplods or whatever they are called. I've measured the fronts and appear to be 10cms. I just can't be ars*d to undo the boot lining.

Thanks in advance!

M

·
0 Posts
I've undone the bootlining but never been ars*d to take em out. Look like 6.5" though. I hope they're 6.5" cos i have a nice set of Pioneers in that size. (Although i have Kenwoods in 5.25" as backups :D)

C

·
0 Posts
Front, they are 4'' size (10 cm)
rear, I think they are 17 cm.
lasta summer I changed my front speakers, I bought a pair of dual cone Sony xplod speakers. They are not superb, but only cost 20 €, and some better than the old ones.
Rear speakers are really quite good speakers, 9 years, and kicking ...

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
The rears really aren't too bad to do. Took me a morning and that included fitting some extra tweeters into the shelf.

M

·
0 Posts
How do they come out? Is it a case of unbolting them from the bottom or does the rear shelf have to be removed?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
The covers unbolt from underneath and lift out taking the speaker with them. The speaker then unbolts from the back of the cover. Make sure you unclip the wires first. You will probably need to re-join them as the Alfa connectors look unique. Given that its a saloon, a hard (unplugable) solder joint will be fine. The shelf stays put throughout!

Most 6.5" jobs will bolt onto the covers. There is plenty of room for cone movement but watch out for magnet clearence on the cars metalwork when you put them back in. Chances are the magent on the new speakers will be much bigger. A small bit of filing will do the job if needed.

·
Registered
69 Posts
guys,
this is something that i'm quite heavily involved into so here's my 2 cents. forget about the rear speakers, remove them if possible. get some front speakers (4" sits nicely in the front), and go for components i.e. separate tweeters and midrange. most of us have home stereos and we never listen to it with our backs to it, do we? if you have a little bit of xtra cash, throw in a subwoofer and voila...it's a new experience for you. trust me. btw, forget about the xplods...there's a reason why it's selling so cheaply!

M

·
0 Posts
I get where you're coming from Bob, and to a certain degree you're right. I already have amps and a sub and will get pukka components for the front when i can afford it, will probably get larger ones built into the doors though as 4" just can't supply the midrange i want. I already have the rear speakers so it won't cost me any money, otherwise i would indeed have sorted the fronts out first. Which i think is your point :)

I will be using rears though for two reasons, one is so that my passengers can hear the sound better, and two is to pull the image towards the centre of the car. And until the front is 100% sorted they also nicely fill the gap left between the high freq of the sub and low freq of the front.

Not sure about your comparison to setting it up the same way as a home hi-fi though, when i listen to music at home it is what i am focused on so i want direction, clarity, good sound stage etc from my hi-fi. When i listen in the car my focus is on driving so the music is a background noise, hence i want it less focused and more spatial, and use the rears to this effect.
Ands personally i don't see the point in spending large amounts of money fine tuning the stereo and audio performance of a car hi-fi when it is completely ruined as soon as the ignition key is turned, and the environment is such that it will never sound as good as a well tuned home hi-fi in a good room.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Also note that in a home hi-fi set up there is no requirement to cause permanent damage to the frontage of Woolworths with your subs as you drive past for the 20th time in a hour... :lol:

M

·
0 Posts
Hehe. Or setting off car alarms as you drive by WITHOUT the use of an oversized exhaust :D

·
Banned
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
geeez I only wanted to know he size of the speakers!!
Anyway cheers for the repies guys. I just want to replace mine becauce the oe ones can't cope (may be knackered i'm not sure) but they go splgh splgh splgh with the bass.
Anyway was going to get xplods because 1. Reasonably priced 2. I'm sure Mr T recommended them on here.

My sony MD head unit has a feature where it delays the sound so that you feel like you are in the centre of all four speakers, and you can select different setting depending on how many people you've got in the car and where they are sitting.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I have a 10" xplod sub and amp and they're pretty good for the money! Used to have the Xplod head unit as well but upgraded to an MP3/cd player instead.

One thing I was thinking about is whether you could mount the sub in the shelf?? and if you could, would it be a good idea?? I remember something about the sub performing best when it the boot facing backward so the sound bounces off the inside of the boot, but I was wondering what difference it'd make??

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
In the boot in a sealed box. Which way it faces is up to you. Just remember Woolie's windows!

M

·
0 Posts
Lol, soz about the discussion Alfastu :rolleyes:
I like the Xplodes compared to other speakers in the price range, and unless the rest of your set up is sorted or going to get sorted i don't see any reason to move above that price range.

Thompa, as far as the sub goes, you can mount it in the rear shelf but you would lose a lot of bass through the shelf not being rigid enough to hold the speaker still. I fact you would lose so much it wouldn't be worth having the sub at all. So if you want to put the sub in the rear shelf you would have to reinforce the shelf, to get it sounding the same as a sealed box would mean a lot of work.
I assume you want to do this to free up space in the boot btw.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
MT said:
I assume you want to do this to free up space in the boot btw.

Not so much free up space (with it being HUGE and all!) just with 'spirited' driving I get the feeling it'd take flying lessons! It used to in the back of the ZX and the Alfa is just a little bit quicker.

I suppose I could attach the box somehow, i'll have a think!

M

·
0 Posts
Sticky-backed velcro?
Or right-angled brackets (similar to shelving brackets) to screw it to the floor.
Mine wedges perfectly between the back shelf and the floor so i haven't got that problem, but it's only 10" so will have to sort something out when i upgrade :(

R

·
0 Posts
Velco is fantastic for keeping stuff in the boot where it should be.

I have a first aid kit and a small toolbox in my boot, both with velco on. They stay put, and can also be used to wedge other things in and stop them from flying.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts