Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all just ordered new set off plugs for my 156 twin spark Bosch . I have now read the ECU will not recognise them is this correct?

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
I have now read the ECU will not recognise them is this correct?
Where did you read that...?

Although the OEM plugs are NGK Platinum.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Weird. I mean they are spark plugs. You can get the leads to spark against the body of the engine if you really want. Didn't think it was sophisticated enough to register a spark plug.

In fact I'm positive it can't.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi yes read it on the web not sure where now but it said something about the OMS reading is different yes I am puzzled.

·
Registered
9,310 Posts
Hi yes read it on the web ....
And of course everything on the web is true ... shock, horror, what it isn't? ;)

It may be that some plugs are not resistor types but would probably run.

They don't last as long as NGK Platinums though so in the end may just be a false economy.

Not confusing Bosch and NTK (made by NGK) Lambda sensors are you? NTK are wrong Ohm rating .. I had an NTK one and fuel consumption was poorer and were constantly getting fault codes .. swapped out for Bosch Universal and it transformed car.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
sound suss to me,

how could the ECU read what plugs are in there..do report back but I would be very surprised..er actually flabbergasted if that is true.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Do not know about the ECU reading what plugs are fitted but I did read once about the T SPARK engine not runing well on BOSCH plugs. So when I had my 156 T SPARK 1.8 I always used OEM NGK plugs and had no problems.

I also have a BMW MINI and the OEM plugs for that are also NGK Platinum. I fitted BOSCH plugs to that once and had problems the car did not run well on tick over and the EML came on. Changed back to new NGK Platinum plugs at 2x the cost of the BOSCH ones and the car run fine.
So I would say stay with the NGK plugs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do not know about the ECU reading what plugs are fitted but I did read once about the T SPARK engine not runing well on BOSCH plugs. So when I had my 156 T SPARK 1.8 I always used OEM NGK plugs and had no problems.

I also have a BMW MINI and the OEM plugs for that are also NGK Platinum. I fitted BOSCH plugs to that once and had problems the car did not run well on tick over and the EML came on. Changed back to new NGK Platinum plugs at 2x the cost of the BOSCH ones and the car run fine.
So I would say stay with the NGK plugs.
Hi yes this is what I read at the moment my screen is reading engine management fault see dealer had a diagnostic it came up with code 3003 I think number 3 cylinder fault so I am going to change plugs first then coil hope this sorts it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts