Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 147 2.0 TS engine stopped with grinding noise got towed home checked timing which I renewed 2000 miles ago thats ok took plugs in No3 cylinder both plugs are smashed and engine seems to have seized has anyone got any ideas

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
What do you mean by smashed?
Do you mean burnt out?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Oh dear, thats not good. Will either be a dropped valve thats been mangled against the plugs or a conrod or piston let go. Almost certainly terminal for that engine. A compression check should confirm.

Keith

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
My 147 2.0 TS engine stopped with grinding noise got towed home checked timing which I renewed 2000 miles ago thats ok took plugs in No3 cylinder both plugs are smashed and engine seems to have seized has anyone got any ideas
Oh dear, thats not good. Will either be a dropped valve thats been mangled against the plugs or a conrod or piston let go. Almost certainly terminal for that engine. A compression check should confirm.Keith
:confused:

·
Vendor
46,723 Posts
If its run a big end it always seems to be number three that goes.
It is usually, and if the bearing has completely disintegrated there is enough movement of the rod on the crank journal that the piston can tap the head, maybe that is what has done in the spark plugs.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Eek - Throw the engine away time if that has happened.
Poor twin sparks. They really do need looking after on the oil front.

Still least there's plenty about.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Opinion: would it be economical to do the big ends, valves, piston etc on an engine damaged like this assuming labour was free? What is the typical parts count and cost?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
new engine probably much less time consuming and more economical than a rebuild..the problem is you don't really know what you are going to find when you get in there.

I suspect this has been starved of oil at some point in order for this to happen, so if it were me I wouldn't waste time on it..just my opinion though.

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
This is a very old thread, of course......which Heavend has revived....;) In UK it would certainly be cheaper to replace the engine complete with a second-hand unit - because they are easily available. Not sure if it is as easy in NZ.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I'm pretty good at keeping old things going! Used engines are not readily available here - most around have been run dry of oil or with snapped cam belts and been turned into parts donors. Working ones exist but they're pretty costly....like 800 quid. I'm interested in rebuilding the engine as a learning exercise but want to get it right first time and not spend a million dollars on parts.
I haven't bought the car yet, hoping to pick it up cheaply. If not this whole subject is moot.

I'm hoping someone can pass on their experience and provide a guide of which parts are best typically replaced.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
A friend bought one for his 156 for NZ$750. From Italian Autos in Auckland. Good running engine with 80 odd km on it I think. You need to add the cost of doing the cambelt before fitting.

·
Vendor
46,723 Posts
I'm hoping someone can pass on their experience and provide a guide of which parts are best typically replaced.
These are the "consumables" that you'll need to replace, but you'll also need to carefully check anything you intend to re-use like the cylinder head, valves, pistons, rods, crank, cams etc:

Piston rings
Big end bearings
Main bearings
Thrust washers
Cam belt kit (cam belt, tensioner & idler pulley)
Variator
Water pump
Head gasket set (inc valve stem oil seals)
Bottom end gasket set
Rear main oil seal
Spark plugs
Oil filter

·
Registered
296 Posts
These are the "consumables" that you'll need to replace, but you'll also need to carefully check anything you intend to re-use like the cylinder head, valves, pistons, rods, crank, cams etc:

Piston rings
Big end bearings
Main bearings
Thrust washers
Cam belt kit (cam belt, tensioner & idler pulley)
Variator
Water pump
Head gasket set (inc valve stem oil seals)
Bottom end gasket set
Rear main oil seal
Spark plugs
Oil filter
Might as well add Clutch and slave cylinder to that whilst the engine is out. When my Twin Spark let go I did everything. No point in putting old consumables back in when you are spending so much.

I seemed to recall I paid around £2500 for a full rebuild after the Crank let go.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts