Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to service the 147 and seeing as it's just gone 65k I was wondering if I should change the plugs now? Car starts no problem, just seems to be thirsty at the moment but putting that down to it needing a service (last one was Jan 09).

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
30,252 Posts
Sparkplugs are every 60000 miles or 5-years, so yours are 5000 miles overdue...

That assumes you have the NGK Platinum plugs.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Hi dg147
Mine were completely shot on the 147 2.0 after 30,000 mixed miles from new.Comparing them with the replacements,the gaps were bigger and the electrodes ragged and lumpy.All on V-Power,too.Fairly white(ish)electrodes,rust on some hexes and number two cylinder was firing through an oil bath(it was serviced at a dealer in its warranty period...)They were in a much worse condition than on my previous 156 but that was garaged daily and used for long runs only.The 147 now runs like silk after TLC and new NGK plugs-£60+ from Partsworld.Get them changed and with some lovely new Selenia in its sump,fresh Tutela in the brake circuit,if the fluid is more than two years old and don't forget to bleed the clutch(it made a huge difference to an already slick change for me)it should feel like a young'un again.You cyclists know-strict regimen and diet,good kit and you are ready to fly.I'll get back to you on the mpg improvement in a month or so,as the freezing weather is beggaring up my carbon footprint.

·
Registered
359 Posts
check the condition of them!! Do they look like they need a change !?

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
yep whip em out and have a look. No.1 plug often gets oil deposits on the outside of it which lead to tracking and it's not uncommon for them to work a little loose too (possibly from overtightening?). I recently pulled out cleaned and regapped my mate's 147 plugs and it smoothed out his idle no end.

On my old 145 QV, the 10mm plugs were shot at 45k - electrodes gone! I got into the habit of changing them all at 30k intervals. But I AM quite obsessive with things like that!

·
Registered
30,252 Posts
If they have done 65000 miles, there is no point checking them.
They are 5000 miles overdue and need replacing.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Replacing them. The money is there to have the job done and I shouldn't be such a tight ****.

Thanks for all the advice lads/lasses.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Why do people (not just you ;)) want to risk a failure / breakdown before changing them? They are due, change them :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts