Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping to change my spark plugs next weekend providing the weather stays good. Just ordered a set of official Alfa plugs for £60 which I didn't think was bad. Anyway, I'm not usually a hands-on type of guy when it comes to mechanics, therefore my tool box is a bit of an embarassment. I found the following guide on how to change the plugs:

Spark Plug Renewal on Alfa Romeo 2.0l Twin Spark Engines

Are there any tools I need in order to change the plugs that aren't listed on there?

·
Registered
30,392 Posts
The main thing will be a proper sparkplug socket which will grip & hold the plugs and a very long extension (the plugs are a VERY long way down!)

·
Registered
7,864 Posts
And don't overtighten when you put the new ones in. The smaller of the two plugs per cylinder likes to shear off occasionally, causing problems.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The main thing will be a proper sparkplug socket which will grip & hold the plugs and a very long extension (the plugs are a VERY long way down!)
I've got to get some sockets, 10 and 14mm aren't they? Had a look a my tool set, got quite a few extensions so should be ok.

And don't overtighten when you put the new ones in. The smaller of the two plugs per cylinder likes to shear off occasionally, causing problems.
I'm gonna buy myself a torque wrench, so hopefully all should go well.

·
Registered
30,392 Posts
10mm & 14mm are the thread sizes, not the hex size.
Both use the same size hex, a std sparkplug socket.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
10mm & 14mm are the thread sizes, not the hex size.
Both use the same size hex, a std sparkplug socket.
I've got a couple of sockets at home, ones a 14mm and the others a 21mm, do I need a 10mm one, or can I use one of the ones I've already got.

I appreciate that question sounds a bit dum.

·
Registered
30,392 Posts
You need a special sparkplug socket, not a basic socket.
The sparkplug hex for all 8 plugs is 16mm (5/8"), but as I said, you need a sparkplug socket.

Sparkplug sockets are longenough to hold the sparkplug and have a rubber insert to grip it to make insertion & removal easier.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Laser do some very nice extended sockets (250 mm long) which incorporate a magnet to hold the plug. I bought a couple of sizes (10mm{16 mm euro} and 14mm {21mm euro})as I work on a few cars. Numbers 3682 and 3683 respectively.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
I've got an old plug socket, for 16mm AF, 14mm thread size, but the rubber insert is shot.:(: So I found a stiff piece of plastic tube, cut a slot each side in it, grips the porcelain insulator fine, so saved me forking out for a new one. Stingy? But the pennies matter on a pension?:D

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice guys, got hold of all the tools I need (except the torque wrench). Will give it a go at the weekend.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Plugs have arrived today, are they pre-set or do I need to check the gaps? If so, what should the gaps be?

·
Registered
30,392 Posts
Platinum plugs are pre-set.

don't try to re-gap, they will snap...

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Exactly as David C says!:): Oh! and as he also mentioned, and I omitted, that socket I referred to fits both hexagons on the small and large plug. 3/8" drive torque wrench, guess you knew this?:):

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Exactly as David C says!:): Oh! and as he also mentioned, and I omitted, that socket I referred to fits both hexagons on the small and large plug. 3/8" drive torque wrench, guess you knew this?:):
Yea, I found that out yesterday. Already have a plug socket of the right size in my collection, the only part I ended up buying was the torx screw to take the engine cover off. Quite chuffed!

Thanks for the advice guys.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All changed. Was dissapointed initially driving at town speeds as it felt the same as before, but from 3000 rpm and above the difference is amazing!! Much more pull, and it's transformed into a much more driveable car. Check those plugs guys!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just a query, I assumed I bought the platinum plugs, but aren't so sure now. They're definitley NGK's (in Alfa packaging), would these be platinum, or just normal ones? I'm confused as there doesn't seem to be different part numbers for platinum/normal plugs, so I'm thinking that they only made platinum plugs for the GTV (or am I wrong)!

Confused!

·
Registered
30,392 Posts
They should be Platinum.

BUT, some people have been listing "value" plugs, which are not Platinum and obviously don't last 5-years.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They should be Platinum.

BUT, some people have been listing "value" plugs, which are not Platinum and obviously don't last 5-years.
The ones I bought (off ebay) are official Alfa ones, which in turn are re-boxed NGK's.

·
Registered
30,392 Posts
Did you notice the NGK numbers on the plugs?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts