Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,
My 156 drives really well, just sometimes during a long drive, when driving hard in 2nd gear, the spark plug light pops on for about a second or 2 then dissapears, and doesn't appear again until another long trip with hard driving.

I can't be sure when the plugs were last changed, and I have bought a set of NGK platinum's for her. I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice other than the obvious... that they need to be changed.

The only reason I'm iffy about changing them is that the car had alot of work done before i bought it at around 85,000 Km's

cam belt, tensioner's, water pump, radiator..

If I take the front plug cover off and pull out a plug, will I be able to tell its age and functionality from looking at it??

·
Registered
29,994 Posts
Sparkplug light ... :confused:
There isn't a sparkplug light.
Do you mean the engine management warning light?
It looks like a squirting injector on older, Euro2 spec, 156.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah It sounds like that warning. It only comes on when under full load at or over around 6,000 rpm and not very often at all.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Is it only the suirty injector light or is it accompanied by any others?

Is there any loss of power with this light on?

My first thought if there isn't is a failing plug or coil pack, but with any of these phantom problems it's worth having the fault codes read, If you give us your location then someone local on here may do it for you.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know this thread is old now, but the engine management light has gone away for ages, but has re-appeared. I have a set of plugs to swap out. I'll report back if that affects the problem.
Thanks.

Does anyone know the range of faults that cause the 'engine management' light to turn on? It sounds pretty broad.

Mind you, I have some phantom electrics in my car.. fog lights turn on randomly with lights on, windows randomly/dont work, then work, rear boot light fails , then works ?? Could it be some loose wire that is affecting alot of electrical systems?? including the engine management light

1 - 7 of 7 Posts