Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

My car not been running too well lately. it was sort of misfiring and cutting out when I left it idle. I opened up the bonnet on evening (it was dark), and saw little sparks flashing around the bolts on the cover over the spark plugs. This lead me to believe that I was having a problem with my spark plugs leads.

I opened up the cover, and disconnected all the leads and checked them over (or so I thought). Put everything back together, and started the car (left the cover off). No sign of any sparking but the car was still not running right. I started to push the leads down onto the plugs just to make sure that they where tight. I got to the second small plug from right and BANG !!! A nastly shock from the connector. At least now I had an idea where the problem might be. I disconnected this lead, and examined it very carefully. I found tiny splits underneath on the inside of the 'L' shape.

My question is (at last !),

As it is the lead from the coil to the small plug, I was hoping I could just purchase it on its own.
Does anyone know if the lead to the small plug can detach from the coil (don't want to reck them by trying), and if so can they be purchased seperately ?

PS. Won't be touching those leads again in a hurry !!!

Ger.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
according to the parts cd plug leads are in two pieces dont know why 46469919 and 46469920 i dont have the prices.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks jimybob. I checked the CD myself, but when I rang the dealer he told me I had to buy the whole set, I think he meant coils and all. This sounds like bullsh*t to me.

Has anyone actually taken the leads apart from the coil ?
I am refering to the lead from the coil to the smaller plug. Does the 'L' shape connector actually come apart from the coil ?

Anyone got the answer ?

Ger.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Having changed mine recently (one by one) to find a misfire (which I still I haven't found) I can confirm that the lead does part from the coil- do it gently, especially if you want to use the lead again.

The leads are available seperately, try looking at the early GTV or early 156 sections of the CD if your dealer hasn't. The leads are slightly different in that they have a metal sheath that fits in the plug well but otherwise they are the same. £15ish each as I remember.
Simon

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Simon.
I'm going to call into the dealer (rang him last time), and show him on his CD where he can find the leads.

Did you use leads for a 155 or a 156 / GTV ?

Ger.

·
Registered
550 Posts
IN MY COUNTRY YOU CAN BUY ONLY THE WHOLE SET OF LEADS AND THE COST IS U$S 100 !!!!
AND IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO PAY THEM YOU CAN FIX IT WITH THE RED SILICONE GASKET MAKER AND YOU WILL NEVER WILL SEE AGAIN SPARKS FLASHING wink
CHEERS

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Called into dealer and got single lead as required (it does have the metal sheath).

No more sparks flying......

.......still having a kind of hestiation problem thought.

Thanks,
Ger.

·
Registered
550 Posts
HI GER, FROM WHICH 156 MODEL DID YOU GET THE LEAD ALONE FOR YOUR COIL ?
REDARDS
JORGE

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jorge,

I just asked the guy in the parts deparment, and he got the part number and ordered based on that. It is actually for a 155. Cost 28 Euro.

He showed me the whole kit for the 156 (coils and plug leads), as he had them off a car at the time. The leads for the 156 are arranged slightly differently (much neater), so they are shorter, and for this reason won't fit the 155.

Hope thats clear as MUD.

Ger.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I DO NOT UNDERSTAND, IN THE CD PARTS IT FIGURES LIKE A WHOLE THING !! :confused:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Part No's are
46786044 (long one)

46756506 (short one)

I got the numbers off an invoice when I bought them individually. They cost £16.90 each.

These are not the part numbers on the CD, which are different to those above.The dealer comes up with the ones above, which as mentioned earlier are different to the original leads (i.e. metal sheath instead of plastic. :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts