Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sitting at work with my car on the jack in the car park 'cos I've got a puncture. But, the space saver spare wheel doesn't fit !!!???
The hole in the middle of the wheel is too small to fit onto the hub, but the bolt holes all line up. What is wrong ???? The spare has never been used (now I know why). Is there different hub sizes or do I have the wrong spare wheel ???
Need to resolve this as my car is now off the road !!! :confused:

Please help !!!

Marlon

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi Marlon

How much smaller is the space saver? When I had a set of alloys powder coated they didnt fit due to the thickness of the coating, had to get a flap wheel on a drill and just run it around the inside a few times before they went on.

It may be just the coating (bit of a long shot tho'!!! Or like you said, you have the wrong wheel???

wrinx

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had this with the wheels requiring a bit of 'influencing' to get on especially when I rotated the front to the back for the first time.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The hole in the spare wheel is a good 1/2 inch or so smaller in diameter than the hub. The spare wheel doesn't fit on any corner of the car !!!

I managed to get my puncture repaired. Borrowed one of the company cars. And guess what ????........most of the company cars are Alfas !!!!
I had a toot in a 156 2.0litre. Not as noisy or raspy as the 155, but the leather seats were nice !!!!

Marlon

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK
just been out with a tape measure.
The diameter of the hole in the spare is ~2.5 inches.
The diameter of the hub is ~3 inches.
I must have the wrong wheel.
I noticed the wheel was stamped with "Fiat" and "Lancia", but no Alfa logo. My car is a 1994 skinny body with alfas all aluminium engine, would they be using Fiat parts at this time ???
I'm beginning to think the wheel has been replaced with the wrong type at some point.

So, all I want you all to do is, go outside, remove your road wheels, measure all the bits, examine your spacesaver spare...etc.....
Should take 2 minutes wink

Only kidding, but if anybody does want to examine their spare and let me know the results, that would be great. Then I can see about sorting this out.

Thanks
Marlon :confused:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
most of the suspension parts will have fiat/lancia stamps on the setup comes from the tipo/tempra the whole rear end is identical.from the parts c.d there are only two srare wheels 6/14 and 6.5/15 you must have a spare from another car all of the fiats have the same size centre hole.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Jimybob.
I forgot the 155 was based on the Tipo/Tempra. The wheel sizes you mention, I take it the 14 or 15 is the wheel diameter in inches ??? If so, then 6 or 6.5 is very wide for a spacesaver ???
I've probably got that wrong so don't be afraid to tell me I'm a fool. My car has 15 inch wheels on it and the spare is 15 inch too (115/70/15).
Did the 155's and the Fiats use the same wheels then ??? I can't get my head round this, Sorry.
Please forgive my questions, but I'm worried I get stranded in the middle of nowhere with no usable spare :(

Marlon

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no its me..there is a spare wheel you can buy that is the same size as a normal wheel i miss quoted the c.d. alfa always uses larger wheels than fiat but the hubs are the same size some fiats now(marea)now use 15"wheels so finding a spare shouldnt be a problem..alfa have there own style of wheel fiat arnt as jazzy they dont use alloys as much as alfa do.the part number for your spare wheel is 60550448 that is for a space saver.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you could always fit it the other way around wink

finding teh 'correct' size in a scrap yard shouldn't prove too hard though.. good luck!

L8tr,
alex

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
just a thought but should your car have spacers on the hubs therefore giving the clearance as i was told all alfa 155's had them but ive had a 16v and an 8v and never came with a spacer hope i havent got the wrong end of the stick,do the holes line up wink

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hi fletch
my car doesn't have spacers, although there is a spacer attached (properly) to the spacesaver spare. This spacer isn't causing the problem though. All the bolt holes line up correctly, just the hole in the middle of the wheel is too damn small !!!

Marlon

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK......problem solved :)
On the inside of my Kahn RSR's is a "reducing" ring which is inserted in the hole. I assume this is there so the wheels can be used on different cars with different hub sizes.
This ring has decided to stick (with fluffy corrosion) to the wheel hub/brake disc and so effectively making the hub diameter larger. A screwdriver and a hammer removed it and I popped it back into the wheel. Sorted :D
So my spare wheel does now fit, I feel stupid and I'm no longer afraid of nails, screws, broken glass.....SO COME ON THEN !!!

Thanks to all those who replied.

'Till next time....

Marlon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts