Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I just got my 2.0 Super and am very excited about it! Since there's no spare tyre inside the car I expected to see a repair kit at least. I know they are using some kind of a spray that keeps the tyre usable until the nearest workshop but there's nothing inside the boot except an emergency triangle and a screwdriver. Did you folks have that kit in yours and should I be calling the dealer back to ask them about mine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,293 Posts
You should have a compressor and a liquid in a cartridge I think.

I usually also carry a can of Tyreweld.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should have a compressor and a liquid in a cartridge I think.

I usually also carry a can of Tyreweld.

I forgot to mention that I have the run-flat option so that might be related to not having the repair kit. It's on the spec list though. I'm confused.

·
Banned
2,484 Posts
hi deyan

if the car is fitted with runflats that is all you get, just the 4 tyres and an advisory that you cant drive for more than 80klms at 80klm/hour on them if they puncture or deflate
if your car is fitted with standard tyres you get a tyre inflating kit supplied
no Giulia gets a spare tyre

nothing stopping you getting a repair kit for your peace of mind though and you might be able to swing the dealer to get you one supplied as a bona fide

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi deyan

if the car is fitted with runflats that is all you get, just the 4 tyres and an advisory that you cant drive for more than 80klms at 80klm/hour on them if they puncture or deflate
if your car is fitted with standard tyres you get a tyre inflating kit supplied
no Giulia gets a spare tyre

nothing stopping you getting a repair kit for your peace of mind though and you might be able to swing the dealer to get you one supplied as a bona fide

Thanks for the info!

Sounds logical.

Anyway, I've been driving for 5 hours today - what a car!! They just need to fix the hyperactive parking sensors and it'll be perfect :)

·
Banned
2,484 Posts
i think the Americans have used some ingenuity and have been able to make a space in the boot, im not sure

i dont think there is a blank space though

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was planning to buy a tire repair kit for my Giulia. However after considerations I am concerned about the possibility of ruining the TPMS sensors by using the sticky foam...

I have now a mini compressor in the boot just in case when using winter tyres which are not runflates.

·
Registered
511 Posts
When was the last time that *anyone* on here (at least in UK) had to use a spare wheel ? And anyway, no jack is supplied so are you planning to carry around a 2T trolley jack as well? And why would you want to destroy the TPMS sensors with (non original) repair foam if the car is equipped with run flats? Huh?
I have run-flats but I do carry a little high quality compressor, though. Very useful for inflating bikes, wheelbarrows, etc., etc.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Because with the fine state of UK roads there no chance of utterly destroying a tyre? :confused:

Plenty of good reasons to have a full size or skinny spare. ;)

The FCA/MOPAR "Fix & Go" pump with slime canister is just them cost cutting.
Looks like runflats or Fix & Go are the only options, depending on trim level, here.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Scotial.... Funny you mentioned when did anybody have a flat tyre... Its actually not having a spare that is now the number one reason for breakdown recovery services being called out. People even mess up the repair foam part and some have foam that doesn't work because it is out of date and nobody has told them to check it. So it does happen.

In fact just yesterday I saw a guy in a Lexus with a flat tyre on the rear waiting in his car for help. Was still stranded there half an hour later when I went back past the other way.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Scotial.... Funny you mentioned when did anybody have a flat tyre... Its actually not having a spare that is now the number one reason for breakdown recovery services being called out. People even mess up the repair foam part and some have foam that doesn't work because it is out of date and nobody has told them to check it. So it does happen.

In fact just yesterday I saw a guy in a Lexus with a flat tyre on the rear waiting in his car for help. Was still stranded there half an hour later when I went back past the other way.
OK so some guy in a Lexus, who knows what incompetence or neglect was responsible for need for his roadside assistance...:classic: When had he even looked at his tyres last?
And I still haven't heard from any (obviously competent AO) on here about remembering when they last had to have roadside wheel changing. Or whether they really do want to fill the boot with spare wheel and trolley jack??

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Frequency of Punctures

OK so some guy in a Lexus, who knows what incompetence or neglect was responsible for need for his roadside assistance...:classic: When had he even looked at his tyres last?
And I still haven't heard from any (obviously competent AO) on here about remembering when they last had to have roadside wheel changing. Or whether they really do want to fill the boot with spare wheel and trolley jack??
In my 156 GTA which had no spare wheel just a can of goo, I had two punctures both due to picking up nails and both in the last couple of years of my 13 years ownership of the car.

So in that car, a puncture every 85,000 miles on average.

Both times involved recovery, once ten miles from home and once at the top of a Swiss alpine pass.

I had no desire to use the goo with all the bother cleaning up the wheel and in any event it was probably well past its shelf life.

Nor did I have any desire to drive around with a wheel taking up space in the boot.

Prior to those two events, I must have gone 20 years and 500,000 miles without a puncture.

Andy

·
Registered
93 Posts
The reason that pretty much all manufacturers have stopped providing a spare wheel and associated jack is the weight saving (the cost reduction is no doubt a bonus). Extra weight equals increased fuel consumption and they are all looking for every saving that they can find. Compared to using exotic lightweight materials to save a few kilos, leaving out the wheel and jack is an easy gain.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts