Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
u probably couldn't get it roadworthy, why would you want to?

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
change the whole suspension system as it is rose jointed as it would wear out very quickly on the road. A real race car would be far too harsh for road driving, leave it for the track

G

·
0 Posts
The ETCC from 2001 to 2004 had a Super 2000 class for production cars, which the 156s won in 2001, 2002 and 2003 (a 156 won its predecessor, the European Super Touring Cup in 2000). As this was a class for production cars up to 2.0L, the 156s were all modified Twin Sparks. For one year only (2002), the race car was called a GTA, and this was the year the roadgoing 156 GTA was launched. I don't think this is a "GTA" race car, because the 2002 cars I have seen pics of had "GTA" in large letters over the rear wheels. Also, it is a 2001 car implying it is a D2 rather than a GTA. But I don't know for sure.

The GTA name was really a marketing exercise to boost interest in the 156 GTA. There's an interesting article in this month's AROC magazine which explores all of this, well worth a read :)

The key point is that the 156 is a proven race car with a proud racing history that beat BMWs, its main challenger (so remind me again why RWD is "better" than FWD......). And this is one of those cars, so she will be a wonderful piece of machinery.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
I'm amazed so many people don't know that the 156 GTA touring cars were just a tuned Twin Spark. This is one of the main arguments for why the 147 and 156 GTA aren't "real GTA's" as they have the big heavy busso engine in them.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
I'm amazed so many people don't know that the 156 GTA touring cars were just a tuned Twin Spark. This is one of the main arguments for why the 147 and 156 GTA aren't "real GTA's" as they have the big heavy busso engine in them.
Innit, although I doubt the engines in those S2000 cars have the longevity of a bog standard twinny when they have clsoe to 250 hp

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Sorry none of you guys can have it, its now SOLD i bought it!

i wish lol :inlove:

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
That ones tuned to 280hp, will need a rebuild close to every 1000 miles which will cost a pretty penny each time.

I'd still have it though :cool:
Just like the rally cars you xan buy too eh mate :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts