Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Mike2909 and I have been discussing something that's common over on the continent (specifically Holland) which I've had in mind for a while.

"Sleuteldagen" (literally 'Spanner Days') are where people get together with someone who shows them how to do simple servicing on their cars - oil changes, spark plugs, filters, brakes, possibly more.

Is this of any interest to anyone in the area? We'd need:

Instructors (I'd be happy to volunteer)
A place (or places) to meet, preferable indoors (knowing the :rant: weather)
Tools (bring your own, or share?)

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Iain

·
Registered
220 Posts
It's a great idea in theory, lost count of the amount of times I've had to talk people through stuff like oil changes and brakes. But then these are things I've learned back in the day when someone else showed me. Share the knowledge, it's a good principle :)

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Never heard of spanner days or anything similar. Sounds like a good idea, but i'd imagine a lot of organising required.

Is the idea to just demonstrate, or do people actually work on thier cars.?

I have always been good with spanners. Perhaps its the tight Scotsman who won't pay someone to do something I can do myself.

Not sure where I got it from cos my dad wouldn't know a spanner if it hit him in the nuts. My mum always had bike motorbikes so my spanner skills must have come from her.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I have always been good with spanners. Perhaps its the tight Scotsman who won't pay someone to do something I can do myself.
That's it mate........ you carry on helping the English to promote this 'tight scotsman' myth.:rolleyes:

From wording of your post I assume you originate from 'God's Country'? What happened when you 'defected' south of the border? Were you overwhelmed by their unbounded generosity?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hi Frank,
I am a member of the Dutch 156 club and they organise these days regularly. It works really well and some of the ideas are worth considering. They are far more advanced with it as the club there even has its own special tools. On there last "sleuteldag" they were fitting xenon headlights, Changing brake pads, painting calipers. Its all pre arranged so the days can run smoothly. I put the idea to Iain the other evening and we think even if it starts with just a few of us it could be a good start.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I am not trying to steal business away from the garages but there are jobs on the cars we can all do if we have time , place and equipment. I was quoted close to £500 for replacing brake discs and pads front and back. It has nothing to do with being tight it has to do with the fact I dont like being robbed.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
That's it mate........ you carry on helping the English to promote this 'tight scotsman' myth.:rolleyes:

From wording of your post I assume you originate from 'God's Country'? What happened when you 'defected' south of the border? Were you overwhelmed by their unbounded generosity?
What do you mean myth???

I am indeed from the right side of the border. I just came down for the women. Short pale skinned gingers do nowt for me so I went South.

Thankfully I found one before I got too far into this god forsaken piece of turf. At least here you still get a whiff of fresh air when there's a breeze from the North.

(no offence:D )

·
Registered
377 Posts
Where you been Matt?
Been a bit of a mental year so far for me. She had some health problems around the time I was saying I was selling up, don't really want to go into it but it was a nerve raking few weeks so say the least and a total mind *****.

My car is still in my cousins barn (3 months now) - my brother wants to buy it but he needs rid of his 306 first, which is taking forever. I don't need to drive these days, I'm insured on her swift but I'm lucky if I need to drive it twice a month. I think not having a car has made it harder to post as I've got nowt Alfa related to talk about :(

This recession is just compounding everything, never have any spare dosh and with me working in construction it's a month to month existance. I'm lucky to still have a job to be honest, however it's turned me into a bit of a recluse. Last week was the first haircut and shave I've had since October, I looked like Kenny Rodgers apparently :lol:

Oh well, things can only get worse...then better :D

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
A sleuteldag is a "key day" literally translated...

hehe!

Oh and sounds like a fantastic idea, we all talk about problems at meets but never actually fix em!

·
Registered
568 Posts
This is me being Mr Correct. Sleutel if translated online does give "key" so correct but sleutel has 2 meanings in Dutch one of which is spanner. If you translate online spanner from English to Dutch it gives a "moersleutel"(nut as in nuts and bolts /key)
Thats why they call it "sleutel dagen" because they "sleutel" on there cars on that day.
I have seen the photos online of the work they do and its very impressive.
I am in touch with some of the guys that organise these days so I will get as much relevant information as possible and put it online.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Good idea guys, hope something can get going with this! :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts