Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently fitted 15mm spacers due to my GTV being fitted with 147 wheels (wrong offset), David C advised 12mm so that i could use hubcentrics, i got 15mm cos i couldn't find any 12mm, the rear the wheels still looked slightly inboard (although actually + 3mm from standard) so i have just fitted some 5mm spacers (which were originally on the car), really makes a difference visually even though its only 5mm extra, the bolts are long enough and the hub still protudes into the 15mm spacer by 5mm ish, but im not sure if this is safe, is it ok to use 2 spacers on the same wheel, with the Epsom run at the weekend i dont want to find out its a prob at 70mph! (officer).

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
The most important thing is to make sure the bolts are long enough and go all the way through the hub. There is a thread (in the rant room I think) where spacers were used and the wheel fell off due to the bolts being too short :eek:

Also having a different width of spacer on the rear compared with the front will alter the handling - I believe more understeer with the way you have it set up.

Personally I'd get a 20mm spacer rather than use two of different widths but IMO I can't see it being a problem :)

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The most important thing is to make sure the bolts are long enough and go all the way through the hub. There is a thread (in the rant room I think) where spacers were used and the wheel fell off due to the bolts being too short :eek:

Also having a different width of spacer on the rear compared with the front will alter the handling - I believe more understeer with the way you have it set up.

Personally I'd get a 20mm spacer rather than use two of different widths but IMO I can't see it being a problem :)
thanks, yes bolts definitely long enough, more understeer is definitely not wanted so might take the 5mm's off and stick with 15mm all round.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yeah it was my thread about the wheel coming off, 5mm spacers were used with standard length bolts. I would only use spacers which bolt to the hub then bolt the wheels to the spacers, that way there is no longer bolts to weaken it.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So ur wheel came off due to the bolts snapping, not undoing?

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
There were only 2 - 3 threads on each bolt holding it on, i think they just pulled out. luckily i was only doing 5 - 10mph.
Why didn't you get the right bolts???

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There were only 2 - 3 threads on each bolt holding it on, i think they just pulled out. luckily i was only doing 5 - 10mph.
Just read ur original thread, jeez that was a close one, think i'll take the 5mm's off, bolts long enough or not:)

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Wow, just read the story! What a knob that seller is! Bad luck mate, hope every thing is resolved for you.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Thanks guys.

The stupid thing is i fitted ford fitment alloy wheels to my old pug which needed 20mm spacers, i spent over £100 on the right spacers and bolts to make it right and that was on a £400 pug 306. this muppet didnt even think to get it right on an alfa.

·
Registered
157 Posts
@msgtv, do you have any pictures now they have been fitted? It's the one thing that drives me insane with my GTV is how the rear wheels sit so far in when viewed from certain angles!

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@msgtv, do you have any pictures now they have been fitted? It's the one thing that drives me insane with my GTV is how the rear wheels sit so far in when viewed from certain angles!
Will have a look.If i havent i'll get u one tomorrow, know what u mean, its the only thing (apart from the mirrors, big ears!, changing mine) that spoils the cars lines IMO.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thought i'd taken some, dont forget though my wheels were inset by 10mm from standard, i fitted the spacers to remedy that,(actually fitted 15mm so i could use hubcentrics), then i fitted 5mm spacers on top of that, so they are now 10mm further out than standard, if you have wheels with the correct offset and use 15mm spacers you will come out by 15mm and im not sure if this will affect the handling.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thanks for that! Does look more substantial...I'm half tempted to ditch the teledials for something with a lower offset...would preserve the tele's for longer as well!

·
Registered
50 Posts
@msgtv:As I understand, you summed up spacers of 20mm, what tire size do you have, does it touch the arch when cornering?

Would appreciate the answers as I'm looking for the right(maximum safe size) spacers for my 17" 7J ET40.5, and I'm thinking of 20mm too.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Yeah it was my thread about the wheel coming off, 5mm spacers were used with standard length bolts. I would only use spacers which bolt to the hub then bolt the wheels to the spacers, that way there is no longer bolts to weaken it.
That's worse than a hubcentric spacer with correct bolts.

As for this thread.

There is no problem with using two spacers, if there is still enough edge for the rim and the bolts are long enough.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts