Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I hit a pothole and punctured my tyre yesterday and since then have been running around on the space saver...only issue is that the manual doesn't seem to cover if the space saver has a max distance to go with a max speed of 50MPH. Does anyone know if it does, and if so what is it?

I'll have driven just over 30 miles on the space saver by the time I get the full size replaced and already I don't like it.

Many thanks

Alex

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
From the manual,

The small spare wheel is specific to the vehicle: do not use it on different vehicle models or use spare wheels from other models on your car. The small spare wheel must only be used in an emergency. Never use it longer than strictly necessary and never exceed 80 km/h. On the small spare wheel there is a label, summarizing the main warnings about the small spare wheel usage restrictions. Never remove or cover the label. Never apply any hub cap to the small spare wheel.

Basically a space saver is meant to get you to the nearest place to get your puncture repaired nothing more.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And then you are supposed to throw it away and get a new one.
Really? it's a one time use? I knew the gunk you get with some vehicles meant you needed to replace the tyre after the use as it would make it unrepairable, but I didn't realise the space saver is almost the same.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Yes, its intended to get you to somewhere where they can fix your original tyre, nothing more - they usually advise a maximum of 50 miles.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
It's a tyre like any other.(Apart from being very much lower rating, hence the 80kph limit.
So long as it has tread and is in good condition it's fine.

I must have put 200km on a Brera one during the time I had it.

In fact more than that as I did Brighton-Dover and Calais-Loan before an
overnight stop at a place who could get me a spare one time. About 300km
I reckon. (Stay off the autoroute: It's ****ing scary at 80kph)

So about 500-600km on one spare.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I've put around 50 miles on the tyre, now thankfully back to full size (glad to be off the spacesaver, its not fun being limited to 40-50) Also glad the Mito comes with a spare tyre at all rather than the can of goop most cars seem to have now.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Well I've put around 50 miles on the tyre, now thankfully back to full size (glad to be off the spacesaver, its not fun being limited to 40-50) Also glad the Mito comes with a spare tyre at all rather than the can of goop most cars seem to have now.
I believe the Lusso/Turismo etc still come with the can of crap :(.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts