Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Regional Representative, For South Africa - AO-SA
5,467 Posts
33 Silver - Basic model - came with silver stripe on the side, no metallic colours and only leccy windows and trip computer..... also grey upholstry inside only
33 Gold - Luxury model- metallic paint, gold strip on the side, same interior spec, but Recaro style seats....
Both single carb 1500 cc (solex carb)

Then we got the 33 Ti, dual carb 105 Hp engine, only available in red and white AFAIK, and green stripe on the side..... they were numbered, not sure how many were made.

I used to have one, back in the early 90's ( a white "Silver")..... worst Alfa I ever had..... never broke down, but electrics were a nightmare..... BUT , that said, at the time (1985) and at the price, there was NO other car in that segment that offered so much luxury and spec as the 33..... pity they built them so badly.

33s are getting rare, I would not mind a 33 Ti, but then it would need to be mint. In Europe they sold loads, I think it was best selling Alfa of all times at one point.... which unfortunately means they will never be collectable.......
Come to think of it, I would love a 33..... but a Stradale ;)

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I had a nice white 33Ti.
Definitely not the best Alfa I ever owned but loads of fun and a real giant killer at the time.
Robot to robot it could outperform a stock GTV6 2.5

In the 90’s a couple of 33 16v’s were imported as well as 16v Sportwagons.
I considered buying one but when I closed the door and it sounded the same as my old 33 I decided against it. They were selling for R88 000 at that stage if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am looking for one to restore, the sprint I wanted did not come my way. Wanna use it as a everyday, because the Giulietta is getting a engine overhaul. Am I right in saying the Gold had the snow wipers on the headlights? What should I be paying for one?

J

·
0 Posts
They made 200 or thereabouts 33 TI's in SA. Was there a Group One intention? No that I know of. I'd like to own a mint one of these....

Never say never, they may well become collectable. They also made a lot of Alfasuds and they are now quite collectable.
They also made over 600,000 Giulia saloons and we all know how collectable théy are today.
And scarity also plays a role the matter, when there are only 1 or 2 left, I am sure some guys will be willing to dig deep in their pockets for the privilege.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have always liked the 33 series 1, sucker for 80's Alfas. Wanted a early Sud 1300, but no dice. Maybe a Export, but has to be really cheap. @ Eric, my Aunt was the cover girl for the 33 in the early 80's, no one got SA adverts of the 33?

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
The Gold and Ti had the wipers on the headlights as well as a trip computer.

·
5,467 Posts
The silver had the trip computer as well.....
There is a red 33 Ti for sale in Durban (saw the add on gumtree)
Looked like it had been resprayed at some point, and price was a bit steep .

Jacques, I agree with you on the collectability, but I have done my school fees on Suds, Sprints and 33 s. As much as I love the Boxer cars, that old "its not a real Alfa" story still sticks unfortunately (that comment really gets my blood boiling).
Sprints may become collectable over here at some point, but only in Europe do they seem to appreciate the Sud series cars as the truly great cars they actually were.....

I gave up, I will ALWAYS have a Sud/Sprint in my Garage..... preferebly a Sud Giardinetta.... oh, wait, I have one :D
Its great to drive, its fast, its brilliant in the corners..... but it is also a big black hole to pour your money into :(

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I couldn’t remember that they also had it.
They definitely are proper Alfas but I can not see getting one again.
If I can get an Export Veloce like my first car I will buy it immediately.
It was one with the round headlights and the black stripes with Veloce written in them on the side.
I still have a steering wheel for one in my garage although it is in desperate need of reupholstering.
I had to borrow a steering wheel to get it through roadworthy since the oe steering wheel was to small.
A Superhatch GTA will be nice as well.

J

·
0 Posts
Landsberg, I might well have press material or adds for the 33. PM me if I forget to check for you.

Eric, maybe the South Africans will follow the Europeans and start appreciating the Suds in future, you never know. At the end of the day, as long as YOUR car makes YOU happy, what does it matter what the rest thinks?

·
5,467 Posts
If I can get an Export Veloce like my first car I will buy it immediately.
It was one with the round headlights and the black stripes with Veloce written in them on the side.
A Superhatch GTA will be nice as well.
I had exactly the same one ( OK, my Dad did) in red.... great car
and yes, A Sud GTA would be awesome......

Jacques, I agree. My sud is not perfect, far from it , but I will rether sell all my other cars before letting go of this one..... I love it.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
I spent too many nights on the garage floor under my friend's 105 Sprint to really care about the boxer series cars...:mad:

I still have my Alfetta 159i, but I used to wish his Sprint rusted to kingdom come because it gave so much problems! His sprint was WAY faster robot to robot than my Alfetta though :thumbs:

Alfa 33's are also the only "modern" alfas to come fitted with drums at the back...

·
5,467 Posts
Strange Ian, besides the rust my Sprint 105 was flawless...... never once broke, other than a clutch issue which was probably due to my own inexperience driving such a feisty little car. Damn that thing was quick !
The only Sud I ever had any issues with (not including the 33) was my first "Export GL", the car went through a clutch every 20 k km.... turned out to be a slightly bent spigot shaft..... changed gearbox eventually, to a Sprint Mk3 box, and all issues disappeared....
My 105 used to run with MUCH bigger engined cars, plus I had the brilliant Sud handling.....
I loved the 80s. So many iconic cars from that era..... Original GTi, the Sud GTA, Sprint Mk3 and 105, 3.0 GTV, 325is BMW......

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lol...The Ford boys were peeeeeed when a Sud or Sprint gave them a toffie from robot to robot! Not to talk about the GTV6 at [email protected] Jacques remember the sa adverts. Well, if someone hears of a 33 rusting somewhere I can save

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Strange Ian, besides the rust my Sprint 105 was flawless...... never once broke, other than a clutch issue which was probably due to my own inexperience driving such a feisty little car. Damn that thing was quick !
The only Sud I ever had any issues with (not including the 33) was my first "Export GL", the car went through a clutch every 20 k km.... turned out to be a slightly bent spigot shaft..... changed gearbox eventually, to a Sprint Mk3 box, and all issues disappeared....
My 105 used to run with MUCH bigger engined cars, plus I had the brilliant Sud handling.....
I loved the 80s. So many iconic cars from that era..... Original GTi, the Sud GTA, Sprint Mk3 and 105, 3.0 GTV, 325is BMW......
Eric his car had electrical gremlins that could only be sorted by tracing each wire from the switch to the component that refuses to work, and unplugging, crimping and replugging each electrical connector. That would sort it for a few months then...

Front brakes binding while the handbrake remains inopperative, his carbs had the nasty habit of making water! We filled up at the same garage all the time, he used to come dying to a halt and we'd find water in the float chambers then we'd drain it and the car would be happy for a few weeks when it would happen all over again! It was just the annoyance of having to continuously manitain the same things over and over and my bud being a science student claimed to not know much about what to do so I frequently found myself lying on the cold garage floor under his car while mine remained reliable as clockwork!:( I think I may have been more annoyed with him, not his car!:cheese:

We built a really mean system out of very cheap components into it though! :lol: It was a Mk3 105 Sprint. With the green QV stripe and badge!:thumbs: We used to hunt for 325's (before the "iS" days), Sierra XR6's and Cortina 3.0S's and drop them and at the next robot we'd make as if we were oblivious to the fact that we'd just beaten them in a quick drag! :cheese:

·
5,467 Posts
I had two of the Mk3 ones, one Veloce (Spares car for my Giardinetta essentially), one scrapped Sprint of suspicious origin (also spares car) , and a proper 105 Sprint (the Mk2 ones). This is besides a few Suds and the single 33.
I must admit that 105 was the best of them all, the first Mk3 also constantly had brake issues (well, all of them did), but I learnt to live without having a handbrake after a while. The second Mk3 was a gem, best gearbox I ever had in a boxer series car..... not as quick as my first 105, but for some reason it did not rust..... at all !! Must have been a factory fault :)
I only got rid of it because I had too many cars according to my wife...... If she only knew about th 7 or 8 other cars I had stored in a warehouse at the time ;) . They are all gone now :(
The binding brakes issue is exactly why I converted my Giardinette to have 33 Outboard brakes, and rear axle with drums..... It works perfectly and 11 years on still has never given me any issues. I had the cilinders in the drums turned out of stainless steel, they work a charm now, and I actually have a working handbrake.... :lol:

Landsberg, I will keep an eye out for you, I still have some Sud/Boxer spares at home.... getting rare now.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts