Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all

below you will see a very crude picture of my engine block. i put up a post a couple of weeks back about excessie oil consumption and a smell of burning oil every now and then. this morning i was actually able to see where it appears to be coming from.

About an inch to the left of the dipstick is a bolt, tiny amounts of oil seem to be leaking from that droping to the metal flap below before leaking onto my newly welded exhust manifold.

What is this part and how do i stop it? is it as simple as trying to tighten the bolt? i dont wanna try it in case i crack something? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Its the rockerbox gasket by the sound and looks of it. Its a big long rubber seal that fits round the whole rocker box. Should be able to get one from the stealer for peanuts (note: don't actually try and pay him in peanuts):lol:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK cool.

It appears to be coming from that bolt thing though. just after i started this thread i saw one further down about a 147 with a similar problem, one of the guys on there said something about tightening and sealing the bolt with sealent, does that sound right to you?

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Could be. Maybe someone has tapped through to an oil gallery as they lost the bolt and just put a spare longer one in. When you say bolt thing do you mean the bolt holding the dip stick or a bolt head further down (connected to the manafold or just above?)? If its further down then you can use gasket sealant. Make sure its the right stuff or it won't take the heat when the block is hot.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the reply. if you look at the pic its the silver bolt where the arrow is pointing aout an inch to the left of the dipstick that is connected to the engine block. below ive tried to zoom in to show you.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
You don't mean the stud that the manifold bolts to do you ???

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it could be. i had the exhaust manifold done about 5 weeks ago. do you think i should take it back there?

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Right i've zoomed in and can kinda see it now. I'm pretty sure you are pointing to a big bolt that holds the top of the odd shaped water pipe which runs along the front of the block. Someone could very well have tapped through to an oil gallery if they stripped it out. I seem to remember mine leaking and so just pinched it up. I will have at the 155 when I'm home just to confirm as i'm not 100 percent. The sealent should be fine.you'll have to put it on the back of the pipe too though. Could try a couple of dowty washers instead.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Ok been and checked. The bolt is just the one holding the dip stick in place. It was prob removed when they had to fit the manafold as it all needs to be wiggled around when you put it together. Put some sealer on it and pinch it up. Should be fine. If it still keeps leaking then you could tap an NPT thread (tapered) and get a bolt to fit. That would def solve it. Try euro fasteners or somewhere like that for a bolt and tap if it persists.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for all your help guys gonna give em both a try. gonna wait till it stops raining first though!

thanks again.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi guys thought i'd give you an update. i screwed the bolt up on pictures above on friday night and tightened the rocker cover.

This seemed to solve the problem. Driving to work yesterday morning and got the oil burning smell and i though to myself 'hmmmm clearly its is the cam cover gasket that needs reaplcing then'

Just as i had this profound realisation black smoke shot through the air vents and filled the cabin. i pulled over and opened the bonnet and oil was p i s s i ng all over the exhaust manifold and causing a load of smoke. Thankfully no damage.

Nursed the car into the office and got onto a close local garage (who i dont normally use) they did the gasket cover there and then and filled the oil & coolant etc. cost £45 which for a rush job i was happy with.

Lucky escape though nearly set myself on bloody fire in the process. One thing i would say is that the exhaust seems a lot cleaner and dosent seem as fumey which is great, has anyone else found this with this problem?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts