Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to improve the sound in my 156, which is less than average.

I've been looking at the £100-150 level alpine headunits which I think i'll go for.

Question: What size door speakers should I install in the drivers door? 6.5" correct? how deep may they be?

Any further advice you could give?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm not an aficionado of these things but having upgraded the headunit, I've found the speakers more than capable.

I added a sub to the boot to take the pressure off the in-car speakers and they seem to perform really well.

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
which model alpine goes for that money (i live in australia, so i'm unsure how much things are over there)? 9884R?

i suppose you just want to buy for any future expansion you plan on, whether it be to add iPod, amplifiers (for speakers/sub, etc) or CD changer.

unfortunately, speaker diameter is not the only measurement to consider. many speakers will not be a drop-in replacement. you also need to consider the screwholes, the diameter/shape of the metal basket and magnet, and the depth of the speaker. and what some manufacturers will call 6", actually have a frame/basket at least as big as some 6.5" speakers.

the factory speakers are quite shallow, with a small basket. so the hole in the door is not particularly big. a quality aftermarket speaker may have a significantly bigger basket and magnet, so it won't sit flush into the factory hole. and screwholes rarely line up (not a big deal when you can drill new ones).

your options include:
*visiting an ICE store and trying out various speakers for fitment
*paying a pro installer to fit your speakers, including any minor mods required to the plastic door trims
*DIY/pro install which cuts out the plastic door speaker holders and replaces them with mdf wood, cut specifically for the new speakers to cater for size and depth

the latter is the best option in terms of performance and results. if you buy speakers primarily based upon size and fitment, that will limit your choice. it's not to say you won't find perfectly good speakers that are a simple fit, but i prefer to buy the speakers i want, and make them fit.

:)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Halfords are clearing out their stock of Bluespot Casablanca M56 HU's and there are not many left around the country. Originally selling for £150 now £50. Got one today and fitted it in 10 minutes , sounds so much better than the original single CD player and that is not a bad sounding unit. Check out the specification at Blaupunkt Casablanca MP56 . If you were thinking of changing your factory fit HU, go for it, for £50 it's a steal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello I'm new to the forum and found the advice on here great. I've just brought a facelift 156 and have just upgraded the four door speakers. I put in Alpine SXE-1725S. They are easy to fit and plug straight into the wire adaptor plug from the old speakers. They have made a real difference to the sound quality. Any good audio shop should be able to specify what speakers will fit your car. Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts