Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so now I've tried a lot of things that won't require me to buy an aftermarket sound processor.

I have now finished the first part of my sound install in the 166. Basically I am running a high quality kit-system from Hertz in the front with a 2-channel Rockford fosgate amp. I have two 8-inch Hertz spl subs in the parcel shelf powered by an Audison Mono block. As a source I have either FM radio or Spotify via a Loudlink bt.

Here is my problem: I am almost completely missing certain bands of the spectrum. Like in the soft parts of Pat Benatar's We belong I can barely hear her voice. But the big problem is a big bump around 3500-4500 where everything plays louder. So right now I know everything about percussion, things I never heard before is now the only thing I hear. This gives a very tireing sound that is not very musical at all.

Does anyone know about what kind of EQ-curve the Becker head unit is pre programmed with? And the Loudlink? Is it just ****ty DA converters or what?

Yesterday I built a couple of L-pads to dampen the tweeters by 6 db which did just that. Sadly it kept the problems with the high end of the curve. Only dampened it so now its all high hats and rimshots but dampened. :-#

So, any inputs are welcome! Hoping not to be forced to buy the audison bit ten.:paranoid:

·
Registered
437 Posts
I am using the Audison Bit Ten D, it really is on another level compared to the Loudlink. My source is FM or Spotify on my iPad Pro connected by BT to a Tunai Firefly

You wont regret going for a DSP, Audison or not.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am using the Audison Bit Ten D, it really is on another level compared to the Loudlink. My source is FM or Spotify on my iPad Pro connected by BT to a Tunai Firefly

Thanks! Thought I was losing my mind here...

Do you get a visualisation of the de-eq curve? I am really curious as to wether it is the ICS or the Loudlink that is the worst culprit in messing things up...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's been quite a while since I did a de-eq, but I dont think I got a curve, or I am quite positive I didn't.

You can download the software and run it in demo mode: http://audisonbitdrive.eu/admin/assets/1454511257_bit_Ten_SW_v.1.2.1.zip
https://www.audison.eu/products/bit-ten-d/
Ok, thanks! That curve would have been interesting. At the moment I am leaning towards that the Loudlink is the biggest problem I have. Many of the worst issues I have with the sound quality are only there when i use the Loudlink. Radio quality is way better. Strange thing is that everyone else seems so happy with sound quality. Could that possibly be that most are running the stock setup that simply doesn't expose the bluetooth issues as much?

The way I see it there is no way in hell I could reverse the amount of damage that I hear at the moment if most of it comes from compression degradation....

The sad thing is I am really not that particular when it comes to sound quality I just don't want to have a headache each time I step out of my car... :angel:

·
Registered
437 Posts
I ditched the Loudlink within hours, I dont care what other people think. I too bought it because people said it sounded good.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Could you share with us how did you connect everything together, where did you placed it and how do you control sources? I have an old Audison 5 channel amp and some Dynaudio speakers which I'm thinking to put there but as I'm new to Alfa Romeo I can't imagine how to get a decent source and keep FM radio.

·
Registered
486 Posts
There’s actually been a change with the loudlink now. The manufacturer came with the advice of removing a feature by pressing buttons in a seemingly random order which Björn can fill you in on when he finds his way over here.

Anyhow the setting made a great improvement in the sound quality!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right, as Fredrik says there has been some improvements. One of them beeing me buying a Audison DSP :)

But there are two other issues that has been solved source wise. First, it turns out that the LoudLink has a "3D booster" which is turned on by default. What is worse is that it goes back to this default every time you disconnect the battery. What this booster does is that it messes with the eq curve in the most horrendous way by among other things boosting selected parts of the higher frequencies to bizarre levels. My guess to why more people haven't freaked out about this is that many factory sound systems have really bad tweeters and may actually "benefit" from this. But if you have a quality aftermarket component system, the last thing you need is to boost your already ultra crisp tweeters.

Anyway, there is a button sequence on how to turn this "feature" off. It's in the online manual.

So once that was done my music was no longer a piercing massacre of high hats, cymbals and rimshots and I could move on to the next issue, distorsion. After lots of trial and horror, googling and mail conversation with Arnold at Loudlink who has been very helpful through this ordeal I fell upon the answer on an apple forum. It turns out many of iPhone SE and som of iPhone 7 (like the one I have) are prone to cooperate poorly with some bluetooth chips. So BT works great with my Bose headphones and my Jabra conference speaker but creates tons of distorsion with the chip in the LoudLink and it is actually a problem with the iPhone.

So, with my Samsung tablet and with the 3D-toy-thingy turned off the sound is still a bit to sharp/bright but the distorsion is almost gone and there is again hope for humanity. What still surprises me though is that I have not seen more complaints about this 3-D gimmick which has no place in a 200 euro audio device.

Apart from the loudlink issues I have had some struggles with the front component system. Because of the extreme differences in angle between the tweeters and the mid base elements I´ve had to build and install 8 db dampers on both tweeters to align them with the mid bases.

Oh, and I have messed up the FM reception somewhere in the process. Reception is there but significantly weaker then before. I am beginning to think that tapping in on the antenna amp out on the head unit to get a remote signal to my amps robs the antenna amplifier of much needed current. Any one else try this?

Oh, BTW. If you already have a 166 with the built in DSP don't try to upgrade it. It is waay to much hassle and money! You'd have to be totally bonkers to try it...:titanic:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Could you share with us how did you connect everything together, where did you placed it and how do you control sources? I have an old Audison 5 channel amp and some Dynaudio speakers which I'm thinking to put there but as I'm new to Alfa Romeo I can't imagine how to get a decent source and keep FM radio.
Source control is done using the Audison DRC MP https://www.audison.eu/products/drc-mp/ and the iPad sits like in the pictures shown.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts