Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I purchased a Giulietta QV '12 this week, my first Alfa, a 'dream came true' scenario for me :)
Where I live (Israel), we didn't get Blue&Me as standard in these years, this result with the weird conclusion of my Bravo having better features than my G... :eek:

So, since I only have CD support right now, and since I wouldn't like to utilize Auxiliary - I need to find a way to embed USB/DS-card support in my G in order to listen to my favorite music (Royal Blood ftw). I say again - my vehicle does not include a USB slot in the glove compartment.

The immediate solution is to replace the HU - but this is a complicated manner in the G, since the dash is cut specifically for the original HU... Cutting it again may damage the aesthetics.

Is there a better way to do it?
Also, I'm planning to add a better component speaker and an amp, will the original HU suffice?

thanks for any assistance you will provide.

cheers,
Or

·
Registered
542 Posts
Not completely sure about the G, but a lot depend on if you want to control your media by original stereo/steering wheel remote? Could you buy a second hand usb/sd equipped Giulietta headunit and replace your original or is it a different shape in the dash? You would probably need to get it programmed to the car also?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply.

getting a 2nd hand that will fit is tricky, especially since the system that got interface unit with USB relies on Blue&Me (for as much as I'm aware), and installing this entire system seems like an excessive overkill - it'll cost a ton and won't provide any improvement other than enabling the USB mode.
so the question is - is there any way to add usb interface to the current system, and if not - is there any system other than alfa's original that can be install without destroying the dashboard?

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
I am pretty sure that the mini iso connectors on the back of the head unit can be used with an adaptor maybe xcarlink, connects2 that would enable you to use usb/sd card/ipod or the like.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
couple of questions:
1. the previous owner installed a bluetooth device (Motorolla TK30), i played with it and noticed that there's a bluetooth music streaming option - however, whenever the TK30 is active there's a low-volume annoying static 'beep'ing sound. did anyone encounter such problem in the past, and have a suggestion regarding how to resolve this issue?
2. a friend offered me these devices: dev1, dev2. anyone have any input on that manner? can the sound quality be good using such device?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Those devices emulate a CD changer that is why it has the blue plug. I had a cable on my 147 that did the same thing for my old ipod and sound quality was fine but I cant remember if you could choose tracks etc using the steering wheel buttons, you couldn't read the ipod on the MFD like I can with usb in my Giulietta. Are you sure you haven't got a usb port in the glovebox? My car is 2010 year.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
of course i'm sure, i wouldn't post here otherwise - trust me, i'd rather avoid this type of aftermarket solutions.
in israel, they brought the car stripped of these systems, god knows why. it cost here the 250K NIS (the equivalent of $60,000) but it doesn't have a USB port...

i made some research, these devices should work with the steering wheel controllers, the downside is that no song information will be displayed but i can live with that.
the question though - i want a link to a verified working product, since a lot of these devices aren't actually compatible, at least according to the research i made. ordering and returning is a drag due to high shipping charges, so i'd like to try and get a working product to begin with.

and last question - does anyone know if connecting this device means that i have to remove the TK30 bluetooth system? (i wonder if they use the same HU input)

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Sorry no offence meant. Just seems odd a car two years newer would have no connectivity via USB etc. My car can access my ipod and shows tracks, artists, albums on the MFD whilst you are travelling! Blue and Me syncs to my Iphone at the same time via bluetooth. But there is no facility to stream music or read text messages on the car with the kit I have? I looked at the TK30 instructions and it seems to have an AUX input if that is your last resort?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts