Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All,

I started my 33 after like 6 months today after many small repairs. Engine idled for like 3 seconds and then made a DAKA-DAKAH kinda noise and the the engine shook with that. Again idled for like 3-4 seconds and same noise appeared with that vibration. I think I had a minor heart attack and turned the engine off. Important thing is, it is not a noise of a regular frequency like a rod knock. That 3-4 second idle was as smooth as usual. Despite this violent shock, engine never died until I turned it off. I didn't have the engine running for more than 15 seconds. Could you suggest how I should diagnose this problem?

If it helps, these are the repairs I did (the areas I may have messed?):
Replaced clutch and brake master pumps
Soldered many wiring messes
Had the ECU removed during these electrical soldering
Regreased the starter motor pinion cap
Replaced exhaust manifold gaskets
Replaced inlet manifold gaskets
Replaced the accelerator cable
Cleaned the throttle body
Replaced the corroded and dis-functional fuel pump relay (with one from fuse board, temporarily)
Replaced the fuel hose from fuel filter to the fuel rail
Reconnected the lambda probe connection after many years
Repaired the alternator with an external regulator

I also noticed the engine oil level was above the High mark. (courtesy from the PO)
But with that, I had the engine started, idled and revved, compression tested all 4 cylinders before I bought it.

Please help me
Many thanks

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Hmmm... are you restarting the engine each time you get that daka-dakah noise? The first thing I would check from what you say - is.... is the fuel pump running? The engine in my mind will run for about 3 seconds with what fuel is has, under no pressure, in the fuel rail, but as soon as it runs out.... and daka dakah.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm... are you restarting the engine each time you get that daka-dakah noise? The first thing I would check from what you say - is.... is the fuel pump running? The engine in my mind will run for about 3 seconds with what fuel is has, under no pressure, in the fuel rail, but as soon as it runs out.... and daka dakah.
Hi Edward,

The fuel pump didn't run earlier and I found the relay was corroded. Then only I put another relay.

After that only I could hear the pump buzzing when cranking. I didn't turn off the engine as soon as the noise came. I let it run continuously for like 15 seconds and during that time this noise came a few times irregularly.

I also had a confusion with connecting the HT leads before. Attached pic is how it is connected now. But then again, how would it idle if its not correct? :ermm:

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From the diagram you show there - it looks a little like a coil pack? Could that be the case?
Sorry I forgot to mention that it is how I connected the HT leads from the cylinders to the coil pack. I actually had a confusion on how to connect the coil pack to cylinders earlier, so I just put a picture to see whether that is any possibility.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Solved!

I finally asked the Alfa mechanic to pay a visit. Upon hearing the noise, he initially thought I have dropped something into the inlet tract when I had the manifold off. It was that noisy. Actually found out it was a misfire due to incorrectly connecting plugs and he said an injector pair was connected the wrong way (which I never even removed). Somehow now it is smooth as ever. Love the idling sound of the iniezione engine. Happy days :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts