Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The insurance for my car runs out today and Ive already SORN'd it a few months ago so I need to arrange SORN or Laid-up insurance.

Anyone got any recommendations of companies who'll do me a decent price for this?

Also, any idea how much, roughly, I'll be paying?

Thanks in advance :thumbs::)

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
I have my F355 SORN'd but just leave the policy running. Have thought many times about a 'laid up' policy but then would need to get just a six months classic policy for Summer use. I suppose you can just cancel but as I pay up front am not sure if I would get anything back. Some companies even make a daft charge (a very popular broker does apparently, no name given).
Performance Direct Insurance - Insurance Terms - Laid Up Policies

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have my F355 SORN'd but just leave the policy running. Have thought many times about a 'laid up' policy but then would need to get just a six months classic policy for Summer use. I suppose you can just cancel but as I pay up front am not sure if I would get anything back. Some companies even make a daft charge (a very popular broker does apparently, no name given).
Performance Direct Insurance - Insurance Terms - Laid Up Policies
Hi Malc, thanks for your reply, my insurance runs out today anyway which is why im thinking I need the laid-up. Cheers for the link, ill give them a whirl :thumbs:

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Hi Malc, thanks for your reply, my insurance runs out today anyway which is why im thinking I need the laid-up. Cheers for the link, ill give them a whirl :thumbs:
Let me know if you get anywhere with this. I am keen to perhaps do the same. :thumbs:

·
Registered
37,649 Posts
How many cars do you have to cover? Admiral were not too bad on their multicar, especially when you get up to 3 as, with only 2 drivers, the third car they are covering is clearly not being used.

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How many cars do you have to cover? Admiral were not too bad on their multicar, especially when you get up to 3 as, with only 2 drivers, the third car they are covering is clearly not being used.
Hi K, just the GTA which runs out today and may be off the road till spring or even the following spring. :)

·
Registered
37,649 Posts
Having to insure your car when you are not even using it is a right con. It was costing me £30 a month to keep the 156 saloon on the policy while I tried to sell her.

It also makes it quite difficult buying private second hand, pre-insuring a car before you go to buy restricts your haggle-room!

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Having to insure your car when you are not even using it is a right con. It was costing me £30 a month to keep the 156 saloon on the policy while I tried to sell her.

It also makes it quite difficult buying private second hand, pre-insuring a car before you go to buy restricts your haggle-room!
I agree, its a massive con and im now 100 quid down at crimbo :(

I never thought of the buying used scenario but youre right, jipped all round!!

:)

·
Registered
2,050 Posts

does it have to be insured if it is SORN on private land???

·
Vendor
45,777 Posts
Nope, there is no requirement to insure a SORN'd car. It only has to be insured if it is taxed (whether it is on private land or not).

·
Registered
37,751 Posts
Nope, there is no requirement to insure a SORN'd car. It only has to be insured if it is taxed (whether it is on private land or not).
I think it is stupid.

Those that want to park their car on their drive with no insurance for a couple of days have to declare the car SORN, where as those that drive with no insurance can still get away with it it, providing the car has been declared as SORN. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Right then, I actually think im losing my marbles...seriously!

I wonder if anyone can shed any light on this...

For some reason I have been under the impression in the last month or 2 that the rules had changed at the DVLA (or wherever) and youre car had to have insurance no matter what the circumstances.
I dont know why I was under this impression though :confused:, maybe I heard it on the radio or seen it on the news or something and went away and remembered it :rolleyes:

So, since then, Ive been conscious that when my insurance ran out today, I needed to arrange 'laid-up' insurance which ive just shelled out £101 for.

Then, Ive just read PANIC's post (below) and it got me questioning if what I thought was actually even true....... and.... I now think Ive been playing tricks on myself, again.

This is what I thought... but now ive done a bit of googling... I think that what I thought was a load of brollocks.

I read this page... Stay insured: new penalties for vehicles without motor insurance : Directgov - Motoring

and it clearly states that if the car is SORN'd (which mine is) then you dont need laid-up insurance.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Im fairly certain ill be ringing adrianflux up in the morning to get my god damn £101 back and hope they dont take an admin fee off me.

What a wolly! :lol:

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry Pud and Symon, I was still writing when u posted.

Yes, this I have now realised :lol: Christ knows how I came up with the laid-up thing :confused::)

I think it is stupid.

Those that want to park their car on their drive with no insurance for a couple of days have to declare the car SORN, where as those that drive with no insurance can still get away with it it, providing the car has been declared as SORN. :rolleyes:
I dont know whats right and what isnt at the mo Sy :lol: :thumbs:

·
Vendor
45,777 Posts
Im fairly certain ill be ringing adrianflux up in the morning to get my god damn £101 back and hope they dont take an admin fee off me.

What a wolly! :lol:
And there was me thinking you were just insuring it cause you were worried about fire/theft/damage!

If they're going to land you with a big admin fee then it may be an idea just to keep it insured, its less than 9 quid a month, you'd be gutted if it was nicked or the garage was burnt down.

·
Registered
37,751 Posts
laid up insurance still doesn't cover for third party damage (caused whilst driving etc)so it wouldn't be legal to have it on your car unless it was SORN'ed anyway.

You can't have your car taxed and on laid up insurance, so having it is a waste of time unless you are worried about your car being stolen or catching fire on the drive.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Really? I found admiral multi-car to be awful. Not only did they give me a quote a third as much again than the best quote elsewhere on the new car, the insurance of the car that I already had insured with them went up!

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And there was me thinking you were just insuring it cause you were worried about fire/theft/damage!

If they're going to land you with a big admin fee then it may be an idea just to keep it insured, its less than 9 quid a month, you'd be gutted if it was nicked or the garage was burnt down.
No unfortunately im not that sensible Pud.

Thing is, i paid it all at once and idrather have the dosh at this time of year for the pub.

laid up insurance still doesn't cover for third party damage (caused whilst driving etc)so it wouldn't be legal to have it on your car unless it was SORN'ed anyway.

You can't have your car taxed and on laid up insurance, so having it is a waste of time unless you are worried about your car being stolen or catching fire on the drive.
My car is SORN'd and yes, it is a waste of time which is why I want my dosh back :lol:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts