Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am confused we have a car that we have stopped the insurance on as we have brought a new car (mito 1.6 jtdm). so its off the raod and uninsured but taxed. we wish to get a new mot and sell the car but this will be in about 2 weeks time.i understand if the car is not insured we need to do a sorn but we dont want to send the tax back as with tax the car will be more desirable to sell with 12 months mot and 4 months tax for example. what should we do ? can we sorn it but keep the tax on the car ?

i have had a look around and this thing about your car has to be insured is un clear to me

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Unfortunately another piece of government stupidity.......if its uninsured it should (must) be SORNed - and to do that you have to send the tax back - and as today's the 31st you won't get a refund for January's tax......

Mind-boggling idiocy that won't do anything to stop people driving uninsured or untaxed, but........

Only saving grace is that if you are going to sell it within a week or two (if it sells) - DVLA did say that they would, initially at least, be writing to owners (registered keepers) to advise them that the car must be insured or SORNed, before issuing a penalty - so if you have disposed of it - and advised DVLA of the disposal before the end of the month, say, you might get away with it.......

·
Registered
37,764 Posts
It is stupid.

It means that if you comply with the law and declare the car as SORN the new buyer will be forced to drive the car home with no tax on it, unless they can come to you, get the documents and pop to a post office before driving it home.

·
Vendor
45,823 Posts
Could you buy "laid up" insurance? I think this would take it off the DVLA's computerised hit-list.

·
Registered
37,764 Posts
Could you buy "laid up" insurance? I think this would take it off the DVLA's computerised hit-list.
Not sure that would work.

Wouldn't the car need to be covered at least 3rd party only to get it off the list?

I know a laid up car isn't going to cause many accidents to others but the DVLA would fail to understand that.

·
Vendor
45,823 Posts
Not sure that would work.

Wouldn't the car need to be covered at least 3rd party only to get it off the list?

I know a laid up car isn't going to cause many accidents to others but the DVLA would fail to understand that.
I've always thought a laid-up policy does cover the car, but it just doesn't cover for any drivers..

I don't know really, the DVLA don't seem to go into much detail on their websites. Would laid up insurance put the car onto the MID? Thats the key thing we need to know. I think it would, but in the policy details part of the MID it would stipulate that there are no drivers insured to drive the car, even though the car is insured.. I bet when MID was set up it wasn't done so with this new change of legislation in mind, and so laid up policies would still generate an entry onto MID, and that the software the DVLA use to interrogate the MID doesn't check the actual details of who is insured on that policy, only that there is a policy in force.

Does anyone have a car currently on a laid up policy that we can use the reg to check if it appears on the MID?

·
Registered
37,764 Posts
like this Home - www.sorninsurance.co.uk

got a quote 118 pound for 6 months thats to much nearly a years tax there so no point in that may as well just sorn it
If you took the risk not putting it on SORN and got a fine it would work out cheaper (£100)

Not sure how often you would get fined £100 though, maybe once a month, or maybe once for the whole time it wasn't SORN'ed

In theory the law states that you should only be punished for one offence once...

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
If you took the risk not putting it on SORN and got a fine it would work out cheaper (£100)

Not sure how often you would get fined £100 though, maybe once a month, or maybe once for the whole time it wasn't SORN'ed

In theory the law states that you should only be punished for one offence once...
I think you'll find that cars with no insurance get seized and you have to claim them back. If you don't get it insured and get it back they crush it or sell it.

·
Registered
37,764 Posts
I think you'll find that cars with no insurance get seized and you have to claim them back. If you don't get it insured and get it back they crush it or sell it.
Even if it is parked on private land, and is obviously not being used?

Stupid law.

If it was uninsured and on the road I could understand.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
I think it will probably take a week or so at least for the insurance company to get around to removing it off MID. I suspect the DVLA will take a bit longer to notify you judging from the Rover 25 I sold a while back.

Of course if you tell plod MalcQV said it will be fine I doubt it would stand up in court :p

·
Registered
929 Posts
The fine for not being taxed / not declaring SORN is about £1000. However the DVLA virtually never take people to court for this. Instead they offer to take a bribe for not taking you to court, and if you don't pay their bribe they then try taking you to court for non payment of debt. Legally this is very dubious, firstly as they are attempting to pervert the course of justice by soliciting a bribe but mainly because there is no debt unless you have entered into an agreement.

I would doubt a laid up policy would count on the database. I would expect to count it would need to cover it for 3rd party injury / damage (ie, min legal cover) and once they have issued a certificate they would open themselves up to all the liability.

All the best

Keith

1 - 13 of 13 Posts