Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two more months and the Giulietta QV Line will be up for replacement. Sadly, this will be the end of my years of Alfa ownership. Much as I’d love another, I can’t bring myself to endure three more years of pain with the frankly woeful uConnect, DAB radio failures and pathetic headlights. I’ve also got nothing good to say about the dealer it came from.

Unfortunately, the car has been sadly let down by these rather poor factors. It’s a great car to drive, has been mechanically great and ultimately cheap to run, what a shame that Alfa so nearly got it right.

So long Alfa, hello Mini Clubman Cooper SD or ŠKODA Octavia VRS.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
So long Alfa, hello Mini Clubman Cooper SD or ŠKODA Octavia VRS.
Just get a new Golf instead, it does everything perfectly :)

-Alex

·
Registered
38,248 Posts
Just get a new Golf instead, it does everything perfectly :)

-Alex
According the Honest John website they go wrong with perfect regularity too.

I will be first to admit that the Giulietta isn't perfect. My gripes are the interior build quality and the ride/handling on stock suspension.

Overall though Alfa did a really good job with it, plus in general they are very reliable compared to others in the class.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
At the rate things are going, I'll be off in just over a years' time when I reach halfway on the finance and can hand the Giulietta back. Mechanically reliable, economical and fun to drive, but issue after issue that's cropped up over the past few months and the fact I'm running out of options for dealers who seem to have half a clue and don't charge the earth means I'm reaching the conclusion that another brand is worth a shot.

I've had 5 Italian cars continuously for the past 15 years and near 200,000 miles almost entirely without issue, but the Giulietta is hopeless in terms of niggles, as well as being the most expensive. UConnect has a mind of its own, new antenna hasn't solved the disappearing DAB & it stops responding to requests whenever it feels like it, the suspension creaks like it's from a 10 year old 100k mile old banger (dealer found no fault but cable tied(?!) a wheel arch liner back in position), the front passenger side whistles loudly once you get to 40mph (new door mirror on order, wrong one was originally ordered), exterior temperature gauge under reads, front washers activate when I use the back one ('they all do this Sir') and this evening the aircon kicked in (as it loves to do without me pressing it) only for a loud whistling where it's obviously run low on gas followed by the sound like there's a plane overhead coming from the compressor :(

And to top it off, 3 dealers want over £300 for the 21k service, when it had an inspection a year ago. One dealer said it could be done for £250 without oil & filter, but why would I want a 'service' without the fundamentals of new oil and a new oil filter? :nono:

I was going to keep the G for the full finance agreement and pay the final payment but nah, had enough already, only a year in. Fundamentally sound, but too many quality niggles for a car that'd been in production over 5 years at the point mine was made, and dealers taking liberties with service prices. They're just not good enough to charge that for a service, I'm afraid, so unless something miraculous happens to turn things around a bit rapid, I won't be driving an Alfa for a while after this one :(

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Are you sure of that?
Yes, I’m fairly sure :) Years of experience!

I had a Giulietta QV for a year or two, sold it, and bought a 2007 Mercedes CLS. The 5.5L V8 was in a different league to the small turbo four, but I found the air suspension was a compromise and the automatic trans was caught out at low speeds. I sold it and bought a 2014 Golf 7, the 1.4TSi version, and it was astonishingly refined. Unlike the Mercedes, it was completely free of rattles and squeaks, seemed to excel at everything, and was easy to drive.

The seven-speed DSG always picked the right ratio, the small four-cylinder was as quiet and smooth as the V8, and the suspension was an ideal balance between handling and comfort. In addition, the features made possible by the latest generation of electronics were outstanding. Headlights that dip when other traffic approaches. Cruise control that brakes the car down to a stop and moves off again. Steering that adjusts itself to stay in the lane. And because a 1.4 four cylinder is obviously a large engine (!), it could run on two cylinders during a light cruise (unlike the V8) - giving 5.5L/100km on average.

I now have a Giulietta 1.4 TCT. Two years newer but feels a generation older; lacks all the features I mentioned and has a suspension setup far more in favour of a hard ride. The TCT seems to stumble and pick the wrong gears where the DSG did not. In manual mode it seems to shun the idea. Gets 7.5L/100km on average. I can’t think of anything the Giulietta does better than a Golf apart from reliability - the Golf does everything superbly, except the reliability thing :) I’d certainly buy another if it were possible to get a warranty - which is why I suggested a new Golf rather than used.

Oh - well there is one thing, all my friends hated my Golf and seem to like the Giulietta ;)

-Alex

Reactions: mru

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I must have been lucky. My 2015 GQV was faultless in the 2years and 16k miles I owned it for.
I also had no complaints over the ride, damping or handling, although the latter is affected by the choice of tyres.
(best handling was with the oem Dunlop Sportmax TTs on the rear and Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance on the front)
No build quality or interior niggles either, No DAB up here in the Highlands so can't comment on it but otherwise everything worked when it should and not when it shouldn't.

My only gripe was the usual poor quality Alfa paint - its too soft so prone hairline scratches and yet easily chipped. I had a DS3 for the same period and drove them back to back, same roads, same journeys, same mileage. The DS3 had no stone chips, no hairline scratches and looked in showroom condition when returned to the Contract Hire company.

·
Registered
35,724 Posts
I know the golf is a dull car, but didn't realise it was so dull as to need all that gubbins to take control in the very real possibility of the driver falling asleep at the wheel ....[;-p]
The gubbins are required for the Ncap club membership. German industry did a real push without telling anybody many years ago then introduced the tests to make the others look dangerous. The Giulietta lost two stars for not putting the latest German sensors on to prevent collisions. It's all leading to autonomy.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The car has gone, to be replaced with a Skoda Superb Sportline.

Needed a bigger car and Alfa don’t do an estate, no interest in SUV type vehicles so the Skoda was a no brainer.

I won’t miss the woeful uConnect and pathetic headlights, nor the rattling trim and heavy tyre wear. If anyone wants a very tidy one owner Giulietta, I know where one will be for sale soon!

·
Registered
38,248 Posts
I don't mind Skodas to a degree.

A VW without the Bulls*** that you have to pay extra for.

·
Registered
35,724 Posts
The car has gone, to be replaced with a Skoda Superb Sportline.

Needed a bigger car and Alfa don’t do an estate, no interest in SUV type vehicles so the Skoda was a no brainer.

I read that Skoda plan to be a mainly-SUV brand!

They always felt like a cheap grey suit when I used them as loan cars from the Epsom Alfa dealers. Almost preferable to a Mito but rather municipal compared to a Giulietta.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Have to admit that if you don't need the room a Fiesta ST does seem like a bloody good car! I seem to meet the odd one or two at around 120 mph and I think they have a better power to weight ratio than the Giulietta?

·
Registered
35,724 Posts
Had 8 Alfas so far and they all had their faults. :biglaugh:
Had an early Giulietta from new which had a few niggles but the latest one has been faultless since i collected it new in January last year. Liam was just unlucky with his choice of ex-Fiat used car, it would seem.

·
Registered
38,248 Posts
Have to admit that if you don't need the room a Fiesta ST does seem like a bloody good car! I seem to meet the odd one or two at around 120 mph and I think they have a better power to weight ratio than the Giulietta?
They are a very good car. Fast enough, cheap to run with excellent handling.

It's a smaller car than the G so is more agile, and as you say better power to weight ratio.

They also deliver over 200bhp out of the box because of the turbo overboost function.

The only downside I can see is that when they get cheaper it will be a chav car of choice.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Had 8 Alfas so far and they all had their faults. :biglaugh:
First Alfa was a 164 3.0 V6 12V. Started first time every time. Drove it about 30 yards. Never let me down.
But then it was an insurance write off (rear end stuffed so hard the arches were rubbing on the wheels and the back doors didn't open), bought at 3 years old, lowish miles for £1400. Drivetrain went into my Stratos replica and shell went to Ireland for £1200 so the front end could be used to save another car. Result!

Second was a new 145 Cloverleaf, 1996-2009, 163,000 miles on it when sold. One breakdown in 13 years (clutch slave cylinder) and only ever needed service items. Never changed the clutch, shocks were fine, gearbox great. Just got worn out in the end. Most reliable car I'll ever own.

Had a couple more 164's that were end of life (rust) to upgrade the Stratos motor (that got tired of being ragged).

Had a 166 recently with a view to upgrading to 24v in the Stratos but too nice to break. Sold on, to someone with less conscience than me....

Got a 159 Ti Q4 Sportwagon now. Got it at 70,000 it's now got 103,000 and is probably the nicest car I'll ever own! I intend to keep this one as long as possible. Only had a couple of little issues with this one and it's never let me down.

I guess the trick with any Alfa is regular maintenance and use, just keep on top of it!

Guy

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Almost preferable to a Mito but rather municipal compared to a Giulietta.
How dare you :rofl:

I loved my MiTo. Hideous suspension but otherwise a good little car.

Had an early Giulietta from new which had a few niggles but the latest one has been faultless since i collected it new in January last year. Liam was just unlucky with his choice of ex-Fiat used car, it would seem.
It pains me to say it, but I would probably agree. It certainly seems rare for anyone to have the number of niggles that I have with a post 2014 Giulietta. I'm gradually getting the faults resolved and new ones have stopped being added to the list, so the G might have a reprieve. Alfa CS have been very on the ball since I contacted them a few weeks ago too, which makes me less fed-up about it all.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts