Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I've been looking to purchase a used certified Giulia. My options are between 2018 and 2017. I'm worried about the service and maintenance that the dealers don't mention. I'll be using it as a daily driver putting at least 15,000 miles a year at least on it. So I know I have to keep up with preventive maintenance and service. I'm considering a 2017 with 21,043 miles.

The website price is $26,200. What concerns me with this carfax is what happened from the period the owner bought it to when the owner registered it. Another thing that concerns me is in the whole time that they owned this there's no mention of service done to tires, brakes, suspension, any of the service that the driver's manual says to do at 20,000 miles. If I were to buy this car what work would I be paying for?

Another car I'm looking at is a 2018 with the asking price of $25,900 with 14,490 miles on it. Now this car is being sold at a Chevrolet dealership. With that in mind I know that the only thing they're probably qualified to do to the car is give it an oil change.

Beyond the factory warranty I don't think I'll have the same warranty that I would get if I were to buy it from an Alfa Romeo dealership. What are the pros and cons?

·
Registered
34,490 Posts
£21,000 for a 2017 Giulia in the U.K. would get you one with higher miles on it as far as I can see but the details of these individual cars obviously need a credible explanation for you. It’s worth trying to get the answers from the dealers or keep looking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I've been looking for weeks and on top of that these dealerships aren't local. The one that is doesn't really have many options. I wouldn't feel satisfied with what they're selling.

·
Registered
504 Posts
From my experience most cars only have specified service intervals for filters and fluids. All the other parts of the car are usually just 'inspect'.

Does the Giulia have in the maintenance schedule work to be carried out on brakes/suspension at certain mileage?

I would think that for your cars shown the tyres will be coming up to replacement levels. I know some people can get huge distance from a set of tyres, so it is a case-by case basis. Same with the brake pads/discs. Depending on how it has been driven affects the life of those sorts of things a lot.

Not knowing the specific service schedule for these cars I would think at a minimum you would be looking at getting oil and filter, air filter, cabin filter, brake fluid replaced at next service. Coolant, ATF, Diff oil, spark plugs still probably have a little while to go, but things vary from car to car.

I'm under the assumption that with a near new car there is not too much to do. Other than send it in for regular servicing as per the schedule. When advisory points do come up during a service, such as 'brake pads getting low' you should factor in the cost of that for your next service.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Often the dealer will service it as part of the sale. It's worth asking for a detailed invoice showing exactly what was done, so you're aware of what needs doing at your next service, which will be evident from the handbook.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Often the dealer will service it as part of the sale. It's worth asking for a detailed invoice showing exactly what was done, so you're aware of what needs doing at your next service, which will be evident from the handbook.
Yes the dealer for the blue vehical serviced the car and all their used cars have extended warranty (100kmiles) included in the asking price. And the price was still really cheap. I definitely asked for that invoice of the service done it. Thats a very good point. The tires still have some life and the next major preventive maintenance I'll have to do is at 30K miles according to the manual. So in about a year. My oil changes will be more frequent since it'll a daily driver.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From my experience most cars only have specified service intervals for filters and fluids. All the other parts of the car are usually just 'inspect'.

Does the Giulia have in the maintenance schedule work to be carried out on brakes/suspension at certain mileage?

I would think that for your cars shown the tyres will be coming up to replacement levels. I know some people can get huge distance from a set of tyres, so it is a case-by case basis. Same with the brake pads/discs. Depending on how it has been driven affects the life of those sorts of things a lot.

Not knowing the specific service schedule for these cars I would think at a minimum you would be looking at getting oil and filter, air filter, cabin filter, brake fluid replaced at next service. Coolant, ATF, Diff oil, spark plugs still probably have a little while to go, but things vary from car to car.

I'm under the assumption that with a near new car there is not too much to do. Other than send it in for regular servicing as per the schedule. When advisory points do come up during a service, such as 'brake pads getting low' you should factor in the cost of that for your next service.

It looks like I'll have to change the brake fluid, spark plug, fuel filter, cabin filter , air filter( for this I'll use the kn filters, apparently they last longer) Is that true that the spark plugs are expensive ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The middle screen on the dash is 6.5 inches. Is it possible to replace it with the 8.8 screen. Technically the piece is the same size. Its just the aspect ration which is bigger

1 - 8 of 8 Posts