Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys

I'm currently looking at buying the car detailed below.

"Automatic, 80,000 miles, Red. ABS, Alarm, 17" White Alloy wheels, Black Momo Leather, A/C, Body coloured bumpers, Climate control, Drivers airbag, Meta Cat 2 Alarm with certificate, 6 Disc Changer, 12 months MOT 6 months TAX, Cambelt changed at 60k, FSH, Sport/City/Ice Settings. £2,395. Any Offers"

I've never own an alfa before and would like any suggestion on what to lookout for.

I drove the car last night and it looks like its been looked after and drives very nice.

The airbag light is on but pretty much know about that fault from searching here. Only other thing was it has missed its last service by 3000 miles so might be able to get him to come down as service will be needed to keep the full service hist.

Any comments or info on things to look out for would be very much welcomed. Then I might actually be an alfa owning member of the alfa owners club.

Thanks in advance
Nimda

Missed out its a 1999

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Re: Soon to be Alfa Own Needs Help

Nimda, Hi and welcome. If you check out previous posts you will find a mountain of information there to help you. The cambelt issue being paramount. Fairly high mileage, so be wary, but if it has had regular servicing may be alright. Good Luck.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts

Is it a 2.5 V6 Qsystem or a 2.0 Selespeed?

The latter isnt really and automatic, but an automated manual - like a BMW SMG or Ferrari F1

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks Zulu

The cam belt was changed 20K ago and I've check the receipt. Data on the receipt is consistent with the service history of 60K and it was from a main alfa dealer.

Is it new cam belt every 60k?

·
Registered
31,304 Posts

Welcome Nimda. Could it be a Q and not a sele? Let's see...

·
Registered
31,304 Posts

Oh nice. I like the Qsystem, very smooth.

·
Vendor
46,115 Posts

I think Alfa say 72K for the V6 and the JTD but they say they should be checked every 36K! How do you check a cambelt without taking the thing off? I know the JTDs don't often snap a belt, not sure about the V6..

·
Registered
42,287 Posts

So the 'Q' system is torque converter automatic, but with overide to allow driver control of gear shifting by choice, is that it, or?:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

So the 'Q' system is torque converter automatic, but with overide to allow driver control of gear shifting by choice, is that it, or?
Yep that’s it runs as standard 4 speed auto with city sport and ice setting, or you move the stick to the left and you have full control over the gears. Basically just a manual override for the auto.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I purchase the car Saturday afternoon and so far runs great. Really enjoying driving it

T

·
0 Posts
Lovely if a bit thirsty, worth the extra for the noise though.

Have I got a stereo in it? - no idea

tom

1 - 14 of 14 Posts