Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally i'm an Alfa owner.....156 1.8 TS

Hi all,

Just thought i'd introduce myself... I've been an Alfa fan for years and have just been given the opportunity to own my first.
I've been offered a 1999 reg 156 1.8 tspark for small money. It's a friends company car and as it's 5 years old the company are getting rid.
I was going to ask the usual questions about reliabilty etc, but I drove it last weekend and now I don't care...... I understand the addiction now!!

Looking forward to being a member..

Andy

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
Hi Andy,

Welcome to AO. When youve got it, take some photos and post them here. Hope you enjoy your time here!

:cool:

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
Another Andy... Welcome :D

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Welcome ... and don't be scared ... most of them sounds grazy, but they don't bite :D

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
Welcome to AO Andy :)

Sounds like you have been bitten badly by the bug!!! Looking forward to the pics ;)

Alfagirl said:
... and don't be scared ... most of them sounds grazy, but they don't bite :D

....but some of them are grazy ( ;) ) and bite too :D

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Green Cloverleaf said:
....but some of them are grazy ( ;) ) and bite too :D
Okey ... you are right ... some of them are grazy ;) and some bite ...

;) :D

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Buy it, Buy it & erm.....buy it!!!! :rolleyes:
ask as many questions on here as you want later! :D

Oh, Welcome to AO :)

·
Banned
1,421 Posts
p17sut said:
Buy it, Buy it & erm.....buy it!!!! :rolleyes:
ask as many questions on here as you want later! :D

Oh, Welcome to AO :)
Hi there, on this site you have sevral Irish owners, myself included.

Tell us more about this *cheap* car?

Its as easyt o ask now before buying as after wards when your stranded ono the N7 or M50 in peak traffic.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This must be the most welcoming forum on the web.....Thanks again for the welcome, everyone.

Luckily, B-B.. I live and work inside the car park that is the M50, but I take your point...
The motor in question is a 99 156, 1.8 T-spark dark blue, beige leather interior, pepper pot alloys... 51K on the clock. It's a fleet car, 2 'owners' including my mate who has it at the moment. I know it's been serviced regularily but I'd be fairly sure that the oil is not checked every 2 weeks. It's on it's second timing belt, i'm sure of this because my mate had to be rescued from outside Carlow when the last one went (at 47K) ! (20 minutes after picking it up from a service) Subsequently, the engine was rebuilt and it runs like new, as far as i can tell..
Bearing in mind that it's only going to cost me between 4 & 5K, does this sound like a good car, or what else do I need to find out about it to be sure? I know it's going to cost me more in maintenance than my current car (1.2 Clio ) :( but since i've driven it I don't care. Even if I don't buy this one i'm getting an AR but I don't want to buy a dog. Any help would be greatly appreciated..
Andy

·
Registered
627 Posts
Sounds pretty good deal to me - if u get it around 4 or 4.5, you have checked out the cam belt issues and as its had a rebuild, i reckon it's a good buy!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Black Beauty said:
Hi there, on this site you have sevral Irish owners, myself included.
It clearly says Scotland under my avatar :rolleyes:

Anyway fair point, :p

As you know the sellers and the cars history, I think your safe enough!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys.......I'm totally sold on this car but it's good to hear from experienced owners. I'm well and truly bitten by the AR bug....every time I pass a 156 it makes me smile coz i'll be driving one soon...(hopefully!) I'm annoying the hell out of my mate taking 'test drives' ....I figure if I annoy him enough he'll get his new car sooner and i'll get my dream car......the wait is killing me.........

Andy

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, the wait was longer than expected!! But i'm finally an Alfa owner! What a car....

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
Andy T said:
Well, the wait was longer than expected!! But i'm finally an Alfa owner! What a car....

So where is the car???? :confused:

We have been waiting 8 months for some pics!!!! :tut: Get posting!!! :mad:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :p

;)

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Worth waiting for then, was it? ;)

Finally welcome to Alfa Ownership......... :D :D

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Congrats Andy, and good luck with her.
I had one of these as a courtesy car for a while and thought the 1.8 engine was very sweet.

Cheers,
TB

1 - 20 of 29 Posts